Firmware upgrades: Upgrade window - Fix this broken feature! (+Doc/ Staff Out Dated)

PeterJames
Head in the Cloud

Firmware upgrades: Upgrade window - Fix this broken feature! (+Doc/ Staff Out Dated)

I do not understand why you have a 'Firmware Upgrades > Upgrade Window' feature that does not work.

According to your own documentation [Link Here] there should be a 'Upgrade as scheduled' option, but there is not.

The only options we have are:
 - Schedule an update

- Perform an Upgrade now

- Ignore

I have raised a case for this (See 02123758) and got told:

Response: "Under firmware upgrades section if you have the ignore option select then the window will not come into play. You first need to select and set the "Schedule the upgrade for:" option. Once this has been set for the first time, it will then follow the upgrade window for future upgrades."

So even your support staff have no idea this feature does not work. Can you please fix this, and before you ask: Yes - I have 'Made a Wish'.

Thank you,
Peter James

3 REPLIES 3
Adam
Kind of a big deal

Isn't upgrade windows under Network Wide>General?  And I think it is just used for automatically scheduled firmware upgrades (ones scheduled by Meraki).  I spot checked a few of mine and it seemed accurate.  Obviously you'll want to check your network timezones as well since that could have an impact.  And also factor in lag time for the devices to download the firmware and actually apply it.  So many devices reboot after the scheduled time depending on how many there is.  Here is the description of the upgrade window from the dashboard.

"Meraki releases new firmware approximately once a quarter. When new firmware is released, your network will be scheduled for an upgrade, and you will be notified 2 weeks in advance via email. Once scheduled, you have the option to reschedule.

While installing a firmware update, Cisco Meraki devices continue to operate normally until they reboot as the final step in the upgrade process. The reboot takes 1-2 minutes, so it is best to pick an upgrade time with minimal expected network usage."

Adam R MS | CISSP, CISM, VCP, MCITP, CCNP, ITILv3, CMNO
If this was helpful click the Kudo button below
If my reply solved your issue, please mark it as a solution.
PeterJames
Head in the Cloud

@Adam Thanks. I appreciate I could set this in the future, but I see this feature slightly differently.

My expectation of this feature, as per the Documentation mentions, I can set a day/time and each week on this it will check if a new update exists and apply it. This would allow for firmware update automation.

The option I am referring to in the documentation is 'Upgrade as scheduled', which is not an option in the interface anymore.

If the entire point is that you can set the update '1 month from now', then why have an upgrade window option at all.

Thank you,
Peter James

In order to get the 'Update as Scheduled' option to appear you need to press 'Upgrade now'. And after this the option to schedule will appear.

This should really be mentioned in the documentation and support staff made aware this is the case.

Thank you,
Peter James

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels