Firmware Restricting Warning for 18.200 on older MX's

Solved
NJNetworkGuy100
Getting noticed

Firmware Restricting Warning for 18.200 on older MX's

We just noticed a warning on the Firmware Upgrades page in our orgs.  A bunch of networks with last gen firewalls (MX84, MX100, are getting the warning of "Restricted from versions 18.200 and higher:"

Anyone else seeing this warning on their orgs?  

1 Accepted Solution
Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

This info has been added to documentation https://documentation.meraki.com/General_Administration/Firmware_Upgrades/Product_Firmware_Version_R...

There have been previous banners for older models like MX60, MX400/600, etc.

View solution in original post

16 Replies 16
RaphaelL
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Same !

KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Same for MX64.

DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Those devices don’t go end of life for another 2-3 years!

https://documentation.meraki.com/General_Administration/Other_Topics/Meraki_End-of-Life_(EOL)_Produc...

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Some are nearly 4 years out; MX64 July 2027.  @Ryan_Miles does that mean that the 18.1 release train will be maintained from a security point of view for the next 4 years, I think it has to doesn't it?

Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

I make no rules and only abide by the ones in place. 

The MX64 end of support date is July 26th, 2027. EoX doc here.

Our official End-of-Life (EOL) Policy is located here.

NJNetworkGuy100
Getting noticed

Anyone see or hear of any reasoning behind this?  Are there new features that won't be applied to these MX models going forward?  

Not official, but it is nearly always restricted resources and increased effort to implement new features on an old limited platform. And of course the hope that customers move to the newer platforms with new features.

Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

This info has been added to documentation https://documentation.meraki.com/General_Administration/Firmware_Upgrades/Product_Firmware_Version_R...

There have been previous banners for older models like MX60, MX400/600, etc.

RaphaelL
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The savior. 

Maximum Runnable Firmware : MX 18.1

There is not such firmware as 18.1 , the latest is MX18.107.5 . Does that mean that MX65 and other affected models aren't running that version ? I'm easily confused on a friday haha.

The numbering scheme is wonky at the moment and hopefully will be more intuitive soon.

Today

18.1 = 18.10x.x train

18.2 = 18.2xx.x train

RaphaelL
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

As always , thanks a lot Ryan !

No problem. There's already acknowledgment/awareness about the numbering confusion and it's being addressed soon we hope.

So, If I'm understand the numbering scheme, Meraki is trying to go towards something similar to Cisco IOS (ex 18.1, 18.2, etc).

mlefebvre
Building a reputation

This appears to be following a versioning scheme called Semantic Versioning

AlexP
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

This is correct - the exact semantic details are still being worked out, but you can expect to see changes soon (and apologies, I can't get into more specifics as of when).

What I can say, since it's already reflected in what versioning you see already to an extent, is that it will be a 4-point system. We can't currently display it as cleanly as we'd like yet, but as Ryan already alluded to, our current release of 18.107.5 is actually meant to be 18.1.7.5

I have an MX100 that alerted me about a pending update that was taking place this Sunday.  I checked the forum to see that there were issues (even though the MX100 was not listed as an affected device).  I postponed the upgrade as far as I could.  Then I went into the firmware upgrade page to see that the MX100 model cannot run the firmware it was trying to schedule.  When the reschedule occurs will I have to keep pushing it off or will the MX eventually realize it doesn't support the firmware it is trying to upgrade to?  Thank you for any help you can provide.MX100 Incorrect Firmware update.jpg   

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels