Error trying to change VLAN IP address on MX

SOLVED
CML_Todd
Getting noticed

Error trying to change VLAN IP address on MX

I created a new network and cloned it from an existing network.  I need to change the IP addresses on the new network from the ones that were created when it cloned the other network.  (These vlans are on the MX). 

However, when I try to change a vlan IP address, I get the error message:  

There were errors in saving this configuration:
The IP address range 10.1.1.0/24 does not apply to any configured local or VPN subnets.

10.1.1.0/24 is in the network that was cloned.  I'm trying to change it to 10.2.1.0/24.

I can't delete the subnet either, it gives me the same error message. Is there a way I can change the vlan IP information?  I've opened a ticket with support, in the meantime, I wanted to see if anyone has come across this issue and what remediation steps were used.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Bruce
Kind of a big deal

Do you have any DHCP servers configured on the MX for the cloned network? You will have to disable/remove them and then recreate them. Could also potentially be a static route on the MX too. The error is basically stating that you can’t change the IP subnet as it’s being used somewhere else in the MX configuration, it’s just a matter of figuring out where.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Bruce
Kind of a big deal

Do you have any DHCP servers configured on the MX for the cloned network? You will have to disable/remove them and then recreate them. Could also potentially be a static route on the MX too. The error is basically stating that you can’t change the IP subnet as it’s being used somewhere else in the MX configuration, it’s just a matter of figuring out where.

CML_Todd
Getting noticed

That's what support said too.  I had to delete all static assignments and excluded ranges in DHCP setup, save it, then turn off DHCP for that subnet.  Then delete all references in traffic shaping.  Then delete any firewall rules containing that subnet. 

I have multiple subnets in this network that I needed to change IP addresses, so this had to be repeated for all subnets with an IP address change.  I basically had to delete and re-create my entire firewall ruleset.  I realize Meraki is trying to protect me from making a mistake, but this process was frustrating.  

Thanks for your replies!

Bruce
Kind of a big deal

@CML_Todd, glad it all got figured out. The exact process you had to go through is why it’s worth getting into the APIs and scripting if you’re not already. If you are creating multiple similar networks then you can develop a script to build the network, then use the script over and over just changing the element(s) required (e.g. variables for the subnet and name). It’s far easier than cloning and then having to change details.

James12
Here to help

you will need to delete all policy rules using the 10.1.1.0/24
then you can change

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels