Defective Intel C2000 SOC present in MX84 appliances

Solved
scrapiron
Getting noticed

Defective Intel C2000 SOC present in MX84 appliances

Cisco seems to be out in front pretty early on this developing problem with Intel's C2000 chips failing after 18 months. 

Should owners of affected MX devices open tickets for RMAs as soon as they become available?  Due to the enormous number of possible devices impacted, supply of replacement chips is going to be seriously constrained. Probably better to act fast and get in line if Meraki is going to offer exchanges. Tick Tock Tick Tock Tick Tock....

First read about it here

https://cantechit.com/2017/02/07/clockgate-2017-the-intel-atom-c2000/

Ciscos Statement. 

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/web/clock-signal.html#~field,

1 Accepted Solution
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If you log into the Meraki console and go Help/Replacement Info it will show you any devices that are affected.  You don't need to do anything - Meraki already knows exactly who you are.

They sort the devices so that those most likely to fail the soonest get replaced first.  They will email you about arranging the swap out.

Pretty much you don't need to do anything to start the process.  Cisco Meraki initiate the process for you.

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10
BrandonS
Kind of a big deal

Meraki has their own statement here and supposedly is doing proactive replacement.  https://meraki.cisco.com/blog/clock-signal-component-issue/  I have a couple customers with MX84, but honestly don't know if they have been contacted or not.

- Ex community all-star (⌐⊙_⊙)
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If you log into the Meraki console and go Help/Replacement Info it will show you any devices that are affected.  You don't need to do anything - Meraki already knows exactly who you are.

They sort the devices so that those most likely to fail the soonest get replaced first.  They will email you about arranging the swap out.

Pretty much you don't need to do anything to start the process.  Cisco Meraki initiate the process for you.

@PhilipDAth wrote:

I knew one of our MX84s was affected, but never knew about this page. Nice!

BHC Resorts IT Department

Thanks, didn't know they had a replacement info area. Found out that one of my MX84's is on the list for replacement. Good Info.
Adam
Kind of a big deal

How many devices do you guys have impacted by this?

I have 3 MX84's and one MS350 which happens to be at our core (most important switch in our network).  Blah. 

Adam R MS | CISSP, CISM, VCP, MCITP, CCNP, ITILv3, CMNO
If this was helpful click the Kudo button below
If my reply solved your issue, please mark it as a solution.
BrandonS
Kind of a big deal

I have had 4 MX84 to replace over a few different orgs.  I have to say though, that as far as these things go it is not bad with the proactive notification, advanced replacement shipping and ease of swapping.  I have been through worse 😉

- Ex community all-star (⌐⊙_⊙)

Hi Philip, we have a few of these in our organization also, they have already been tagged by Meraki, do you know if these new devices will have the same config already as the old one being replaced?

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Apart from any config you may have done on the local status page, all other config is kept in the cloud.

So it is as easy as removing the old unit from the network and adding the new unit, and the new unit will download the existing config from the cloud.

Adam
Kind of a big deal

My lessons learned from replacing MX's so far.

1.  You can add them as a secondary warm spare device in the current network.  It won't take an additional license and you can plug it into any internet connection so it can get its initial config.

2.  If you are going to be replacing an existing device make sure to setup any static IP information on the new MX.  That information won't transfer over.  

3.  When ready you should be able to move all connections from the old MX to the new MX in a 1:1 fashion. 

4.  After the new MX is online you can remove the old MX.  The only other things you may have to configure on thew new MX is the device name, address/location, tags etc...

Adam R MS | CISSP, CISM, VCP, MCITP, CCNP, ITILv3, CMNO
If this was helpful click the Kudo button below
If my reply solved your issue, please mark it as a solution.

Very nice. Thanks for your reply. 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels