Copy MX configuration to MX in another network.

SOLVED
CML_Todd
Getting noticed

Copy MX configuration to MX in another network.

Is there a way to copy the configuration of one MX to another MX on a different network?  We have multiple branch locations, and they are basically "cookie cutter" in their configurations.  The only difference being the actual vlan IP addressing.  What I'm trying to accomplish is getting all of the vlan subnets, group policies, firewall rules, and port configurations from one MX to another.  Once the "base" configuration is there, I would change the IP addresses for the individual networks.  I've looked at the Template feature, but I don't think that will work for me.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
RyanB
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

When you create a new network, it will ask if you want to clone that networks configuration from an existing network.

You'd be able to select your existing network, then afterwards go back and modify the VLANs or changes you'd like to make.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
RyanB
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

When you create a new network, it will ask if you want to clone that networks configuration from an existing network.

You'd be able to select your existing network, then afterwards go back and modify the VLANs or changes you'd like to make.

CML_Todd
Getting noticed

Thank You!  Sometimes you can't see the forest for the trees!  

That was exactly what I needed!

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You should consider changing over to using configuration templates.

https://documentation.meraki.com/zGeneral_Administration/Templates_and_Config_Sync/Managing_Multiple...

When you clone a network, and then change the original network nothing happens.

When you have a network linked to a configuration template, and you change the template (such as changing a group policy) it automatically updates every site linked to it.

I've looked into templates, but I don't think they will work for me.  It seems too restrictive on subnet setups.  Example, if I have a /24, that can only be divided into equal subnets?  2 /25, or 4/26 and so on.  I have a /24 that's carved into /26, /27, and /29 spaces.  I won't get into specifics of why they were setup that way, but I think that what's holding me back from using templates.  

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The template applies an initial subnet configuration - I never use that.  You can then just go in afterwards and apply the IP addressing scheme you want.

Thank you sir!  I will give it a try.  

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels