DSCP tagging

Solved
SAM222
Here to help

DSCP tagging

Hi, I use jabber the cucm mark the traffic CS6, is it possible that the tag is not encrypted?

TKS

1 Accepted Solution
RaphaelL
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@ww  Is correct. 

• LAN-to-AutoVPN: DSCP tags are maintained and copied to the external header of AutoVPN 
  • MX, will maintain the DSCP tags in the tunnel and also copy to the IPSec header which can be read, for example, by the ISP

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Firewall_and_Traffic_Shaping/QoS_over_a_Site-to-site_VPN 

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7
RaphaelL
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You mean that the tag is stripped when traversing the Auto-VPN ?

No, I have the problem that the tag goes through the internet

ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The dscp value of the original packet is copied  to the vpn header 

RaphaelL
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@ww  Is correct. 

• LAN-to-AutoVPN: DSCP tags are maintained and copied to the external header of AutoVPN 
  • MX, will maintain the DSCP tags in the tunnel and also copy to the IPSec header which can be read, for example, by the ISP

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Firewall_and_Traffic_Shaping/QoS_over_a_Site-to-site_VPN 

TKS, I finally found the problem, the ISP drops the packet with the tag!!

ISPs don't usually drop packets marked with a DSCP, they just re-mark the DiffServ bits back to zero, so all packets have the same level of prriority upstream.   As bottlenecks often exist on the uplink from an MX, it's the ability to queue traffic appropriately to that uplink that is particularly important - to get the outbound packets in the best order you can, as you send them.

The ISP sometimes discards the marked packets on the Internet if you don't buy the service like MPLS network.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels