DNS Protection

SOLVED
Shadius
Building a reputation

DNS Protection

Hi all,

Does Cisco Meraki offer any DNS protection?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Yes, it's a separate product in the Cisco portfolio. What are you looking for exactly? For example, if you have the MX with Security-license, it's not DNS-security, but there is some feature-overlap.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Yes, in combination with Cisco Umbrella which can be integrated on the MX and MR devices.

Shadius
Building a reputation

Only by using Cisco Umbrella?

If I don't have Cisco Umbrella, there is no DNS protection?

KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Yes, it's a separate product in the Cisco portfolio. What are you looking for exactly? For example, if you have the MX with Security-license, it's not DNS-security, but there is some feature-overlap.

Shadius
Building a reputation

@KarstenIThank you. We do have MX devices with the Advanced security license. I'm looking for what features are offered with that license in terms of DNS protection in order to make a decision whether we need to get Cisco Umbrella or not.

What are the overlapping features that the MX offers with the Advanced Security license?

Is there information on what features the Advanced Security license provides?

I'd probably need to do a comparison between the Advanced Security license and what Cisco Umbrella offers.

KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@Shadius  The overlap is more or less the URL-Filtering that can be done both on the MX and in Umbrella. But Umbrella is such a great product that really should be considered for advanced security.

We use a different DNS filter solution to handle some things at the dns level.  Then use URL and category filtering as the second layer. When you see threats emerge you can block them at DNS before they ever get to the Meraki Content filter.  Umbrella is one option for DNS filtering - but there are others on the market.  It depends on how much time, money and complexity you want in your environment.  If you are looking to keep things under one roof, then look at Umbrella.  

Inderdeep
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@Shadius : DNS protection is always a different solution and Cisco has Umbrella as a product what @KarstenI says. You can integrated with Umbrella to get the DNS protection ! 

Regards/Inder
Cisco IT Blogs awarded in 2020 & 2021
www.thenetworkdna.com
CptnCrnch
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Talking to customers, this is oftentimes the point when it comes to "but F..tinet does have DNS protection!".

Well, yes Mr. customer. Sort of...but not even halfway comparable to what Umbrella provides you with. You will never ever get the visibility and breadth on an on-box solution as compared as to what a cloud service operating at a global scale will bring.

Shadius
Building a reputation

@CptnCrnchThat's very good to know that Cisco Umbrella provides a lot more.

Very useful information when persuading my upper management to not Frankenstein the stack.

Inderdeep
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@Shadius : See the reviews for all the vendors in the space

https://www.itcentralstation.com/categories/dns-security

Regards/Inder
Cisco IT Blogs awarded in 2020 & 2021
www.thenetworkdna.com
CptnCrnch
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

First of all, MX and Umbrella embrace each other to provide in-depth security going much further as MX alone would be able to do.

In a nutshell, if you're intersted in what Umbrella will provide you with on the DNS alone, take a look at The Leader in DNS Security for your Business - Cisco Umbrella

More general information about Umbrellas other advantages will be shown on https://umbrella.cisco.com/products/cloud-security-service including its integration in Cisco's SASE vision.

Shadius
Building a reputation

Thank you so much @CptnCrnch

This is very helpful information! Exactly what I needed.

DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Hi @Shadius , you can trial Umbrella free for 14 days or longer so worth investigating 

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.
Shadius
Building a reputation

@DarrenOCDefinitely will!

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels