DHCP Relay over VPN

Solved
TimBisel
Getting noticed

DHCP Relay over VPN

We have multiple remote sites connected over DSL with a VPN back to our main site. Would I be setting myself up for any issues if I set up a DHCP Relay address from the MX at one of our remote sites back to the DHCP server at our main site? The VPN aspect of this is what is throwing me off. Thank you in advance.

1 Accepted Solution
jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

Nope, no issues. You can do this and it shouldn't be problematic. The only consideration you have is that new clients connecting to the network can't get an address when there's a WAN outage. But if there's an outage does it really matter?

Just make sure the DHCP server address is included in the VPN networks so you have routes in place.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2
jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

Nope, no issues. You can do this and it shouldn't be problematic. The only consideration you have is that new clients connecting to the network can't get an address when there's a WAN outage. But if there's an outage does it really matter?

Just make sure the DHCP server address is included in the VPN networks so you have routes in place.

Thank you for the clarification. 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels