DHCP Custom Option 156 not working

SOLVED
RobertP
Here to help

DHCP Custom Option 156 not working

I have added a site with and MX64 and the Shoretel IP655 VoIP phones are pulling IP addresses via DHCP as expected but not the option settings. Option 156 is the Shoretel/Mitel Connect standard and works fine at all my other sites (but they are on MPLS circuits).

Things I’ve tried:

1 - Custom option 156 configservers=172.20.50.2, ftpServers=172.20.50.2, Layer2Tagging=1, VlanId=68

2 - Custom option 150 configservers=172.20.50.2, ftpServers=172.20.50.2, Layer2Tagging=1, VlanId=68

3 - Custom option 66 configservers=172.20.50.2, ftpServers=172.20.50.2, Layer2Tagging=1, VlanId=68

4 - Custom option 66 172.20.50.2 (172.20.50.2 is the tftp server that the phones pull their config from)

The following UDP ports must be open 5440, 5441, 5443. I have no ACL's in place and is open any - any.

Thank you for any light you can bring to my situation.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

First do a packet-capture on the port to the phone to see if the option is present in the DHCP-answer. If it is there, look for traffic from the phone to the server.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

First do a packet-capture on the port to the phone to see if the option is present in the DHCP-answer. If it is there, look for traffic from the phone to the server.

DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

just to confirm, are you setting your Type as Text, IP or Hex:

UCcert_0-1630595812249.png

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.

Yes I have set it as text.

Am currently doing a capture on the LAN.

Capture shows that the phones are not answering the MX's ARP request even though I can ping the phones IP.

I will try a different model phone later today to see if it behaves any differently.

DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

are the phones statically assigned with their TFTP/FTP settings by any chance so aren't responding?

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.

Good question, however I did a factory reset on them to eliminate any prior stored configs.

We replaced the IP655 conference phone with an IP485G and it came right up, no problems.

Bringing the IP655's back to corporate LAN to determine what their issue is.

Thank you to all who replied with help. 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels