Connectivity between QSFP+ port on MS450 and SFP+ port on Fortigate Firewall

Solved
wizard_123
Here to help

Connectivity between QSFP+ port on MS450 and SFP+ port on Fortigate Firewall

Hi,

Just looking for a way to connect MS450 with an SFP+ port on a FortiGate Firewall.

Please suggest the available options.

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

That is going to be a real pain.  I suspect you will need to put in a switch with both a QSFP+ port and an SFP+ port to make this work.

Are there any "media converters" available that can do this?

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@wizard_123 I don't think you can.  The MS450 has only QSFP+ and QSFP28 ports.  On other Meraki switches that have QSFP+ ports (MS355), you cannot use the QSFP+ to SFP+ convertor available from FS.com.  the datasheet for the MS450 appears to be wrong, as it suggests that the bulk of the ports on the MS450 can connect at 10Gbps...

I don't have any MS450 switches, so they might behave differently to the MS355, but I'd be surprised.

Can you install a QSFP+ module in the Fortigate?

Fortigate firewall doesn’t have a QSFP+ port.It only has an SFP/SFP+ port.

I think the only option here is to connect 1 MS355 switch in between so that I can connect my MS450 to MS355 over 40g and my fortigate to the MS355 over 1G or 10G.

OM1000
Here to help

Did connecting through the MS355 work for this? 
I have the similar issue and was going to go through the MS425-16 and have a QSFP+ trunk to the MS450-12 as it acts as my core SW. 

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

That is going to be a real pain.  I suspect you will need to put in a switch with both a QSFP+ port and an SFP+ port to make this work.

Are there any "media converters" available that can do this?

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels