Can I change an Ethernet port to act as a third Internet backup link?

Ricardo_Bagnoli
Comes here often

Can I change an Ethernet port to act as a third Internet backup link?

Hi There,

This is the scenario.

I have an MX84 which ports 1 and 2 will act as primary and secondary internet links (WAN 1 and WAN 2). However, since internet links will not be installed by the commissioning day I have been planning to get a 4G temporary router plugged to port 3 in the MX and somehow get it configured as a second internet backup link (WAN 3) in case the 2 internet links fail.

Is it possible? Can anyone guide me through a similar solution?

Thank you very much in advance.

Cheers!!!,

Ricardo

4 REPLIES 4
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

That is not possible. You can use a 4G USB stick but only for backup purposes.
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Since you are only doing this because the two other main circuits are not ready - why not plug the 4G router into one of the two free WAN ports?

@PhilipDAth has a great point, use one of the WAN ports if you can.  If not I would get a new modem for your 3G/4G line of service and utilize the USB port.  

See here: https://documentation.meraki.com/MX-Z/Cellular/3G_-_4G_Cellular_Failover

Ryan 

BrooksEng
New here

I have not tried this but you could give it a go.  4G Router plugs into Ethernet port and add a static route to that hop on addressing & VLANS > Add Static Route

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels