cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I change an Ethernet port to act as a third Internet backup link?

Highlighted
Comes here often

Can I change an Ethernet port to act as a third Internet backup link?

Hi There,

This is the scenario.

I have an MX84 which ports 1 and 2 will act as primary and secondary internet links (WAN 1 and WAN 2). However, since internet links will not be installed by the commissioning day I have been planning to get a 4G temporary router plugged to port 3 in the MX and somehow get it configured as a second internet backup link (WAN 3) in case the 2 internet links fail.

Is it possible? Can anyone guide me through a similar solution?

Thank you very much in advance.

Cheers!!!,

Ricardo

4 REPLIES 4
Kind of a big deal

Re: Can I change an Ethernet port to act as a third Internet backup link?

That is not possible. You can use a 4G USB stick but only for backup purposes.
Kind of a big deal

Since you are only doing this because the two other main circuits are not ready - why not plug the 4G router into one of the two free WAN ports?
Getting noticed

@PhilipDAth has a great point, use one of the WAN ports if you can.  If not I would get a new modem for your 3G/4G line of service and utilize the USB port.  

See here: https://documentation.meraki.com/MX-Z/Cellular/3G_-_4G_Cellular_Failover

Ryan 

New here

I have not tried this but you could give it a go.  4G Router plugs into Ethernet port and add a static route to that hop on addressing & VLANS > Add Static Route

Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.