cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bricked MX64

SOLVED
Head in the Cloud

Bricked MX64

I appear to have a MX64 that has bricked itself, I cannot get into the local page, despite resetting it. But I haven't done a 30/30/30, if there is such a thing.

It doesn't matter whether it is connected to the modem or another device, it does not make a connection. If connecting to another device I can "see" the MX, but nothing happens, local page nothing happens.

Where do I take it from here . . . .

Robin St.Clair | Principal, Caithness Analytics | @uberseehandel
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Head in the Cloud

Re: Bricked MX64

I did get to the bottom of what the problem was - the template that I had created before beginning to reconfigure how the MX connects to the internet was preventing the MX from re-configuring the uplink, consequently everything went a bit pear shaped.

So I logged onto the Meraki dashboard and disassociated the template, and suddenly connectivity returned., it was a bit like watching Penn & Teller.

So the MX is unbricked, for which hooray!

11 REPLIES
Building a reputation

Call in to support, verify that you've gone through their troubleshooting steps, request/be sent an RMA as long as it falls under warranty? 

Found this helpful? Give me some Kudos! (click on the little up-arrow below) and If my reply solved your issue, please mark it as a solution Smiley Happy
Highlighted
Here to help

You contact Meraki support.

Either they will help you get it working, or they will send you a replacement..

https://meraki.cisco.com/support/
Head in the Cloud

Support seems to take a somewhat lugubrious approach to solving this issue. It occurs to me that we should be able to download an image onto a USB stick and reload a default config from the stick which then grabs the last good version from the Meraki Cloud. Saves a lot of faffing around, and down time.

Officially branded Meraki USB sticks would make great swag. Especially if they are small enough to fit inside one's wallet.(hint @CarolineS)

Community Manager

Message received, @Uberseehandel!

Caroline S | Community Manager, Cisco Meraki | @merakicaroline
New to the community? Get started here
Head in the Cloud

Just so everybody knows, the responses here are more helpful than the those of support, even when the issue is classified as high priority.

I received a response at 22:30 my time, to which I responded, along with stating that I was available to work on the problem for a further 90 minutes (that would be 00:30 local time) and I have still received zilch - nothing.

An RMA should have been issued last night and a replacement device dispatched before COB. It doesn't matter whether it was shipped from CA or UK, it would be here by now.

And how much of a snowflake is the MX64, that it fails, permanently when uplinking to a different device?

What am I supposed to think?

Getting noticed

In my experience, best practice in these scenarios is to call them. They always answer and with problems such as these they either fix it or send you a new one. 

I've once logged an RMA at 23:00 and received the device by 07:00 - and I'm in Johannesburg, very far away from anywhere.

Head in the Cloud

@ITzhak

Funny you should mention that. The support person said words to the effect that telephone calls get dealt with . . .

well I've noted that for next time.

Head in the Cloud

I did get to the bottom of what the problem was - the template that I had created before beginning to reconfigure how the MX connects to the internet was preventing the MX from re-configuring the uplink, consequently everything went a bit pear shaped.

So I logged onto the Meraki dashboard and disassociated the template, and suddenly connectivity returned., it was a bit like watching Penn & Teller.

So the MX is unbricked, for which hooray!

Getting noticed

Why is Caitlin's response to you marked as the answer? Your last post is the answer!

Community Manager

@CharlesIsWorkin wrote:

Why is Caitlin's response to you marked as the answer? Your last post is the answer!

Thanks for the heads up, @CharlesIsWorkin! I adjusted the Accepted Solution as you suggested! (though I'm a little sad it's no longer my post :-))

Caroline S | Community Manager, Cisco Meraki | @merakicaroline
New to the community? Get started here
Getting noticed

Kudos to you for the update, CarolineS!