Break out another public IP?

SOLVED
BrandonS
Kind of a big deal

Break out another public IP?

I have a client with full stack Meraki that has a requirement to share their SM fiber internet handoff with another business unit that wishes to use their own separate firewall with a direct, public IP.  My first thought is the only way to do this is with a "breakout switch" in between the fiber handoff the rest of the gear or do it using available ports on their switch stack in a common VLAN.

So, I might get 2 new SMF SFP modules and put them in SFP on a switch and create a common VLAN with those two ports and a third copper port (for the other business handoff). Then I can patch the internet handoff fiber to one of those ports and the other fiber port back to the WAN port of the MX.  I would keep the IP I have for the MX and let the other folks use an available one from the block and patch into the copper port on that common VLAN.

Is there another or better way to do this I am not thinking of?

Thanks

- Ex community all-star (⌐⊙_⊙)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

That is how I would do it.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

BrandonS
Kind of a big deal

@PhilipDAth wrote:

Thanks for the endorsement.  I am not sure why I felt there might be some better way..  I guess a media converter and a cheap copper switch might be another option, but I wouldn't propose it for this particular client.

- Ex community all-star (⌐⊙_⊙)
Zilla
Getting noticed

Keeping it on a managed switch will let you monitor how much bandwidth the other unit uses.  If you go with a cheap unmanaged switch you can't tell who is using all the bandwidth later.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels