Block New Domains Adv. Licence

SOLVED
AnythingHosted
Building a reputation

Block New Domains Adv. Licence

Hi, 

Is it possible to block new domains with the advanced security licence?

My partner received a text with what I know is a phishing site. It's 1 day old and is identical to the HSBC UK login page (I won't put the URL here for obvious reasons). Merkai didn't block the URL, presumably because it has not been assigned a category yet. I wonder how long it will take for it to be added?

I've had a few comments from clients as well that not everything they think should be blocked, is blocked. This makes it harder for me to justify the licencing costs. 

Here are my category filters

AnythingHosted_0-1605785877297.png

Thanks,

Chris

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Brightcloud is quite fast in adding new URLs when they are suggested in their system. In the past, I typically got answers after three to six hours.

If you want to block newly seen Domains, integration with Cisco Umbrella could be the solution.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Bruce
Kind of a big deal

I believe the category filtering still uses the BrightCloud feed. You can go to the BrightCloud website to check how a URL is being categorised and it’s reputation. I’m not sure how quickly they update the categories

If you want to block a URL before it gets categorised, you’ll just have to block it with the URL filtering. That should provide a temporary fix until it falls into a proper category.

AnythingHosted
Building a reputation

Thanks. I submitted to BrightCloud and they came back within 2 hours! Impressive. 

Ah, I'll look at Umbrella, thanks for the suggestion. 

KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Brightcloud is quite fast in adding new URLs when they are suggested in their system. In the past, I typically got answers after three to six hours.

If you want to block newly seen Domains, integration with Cisco Umbrella could be the solution.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

It is not possible to block newly added domains.

You would need to use Cisco Umbrella to do that.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels