Bandwidth issues between MX100 and vMX100 auto-vpn tunnel

jamesmartinez
Conversationalist

Bandwidth issues between MX100 and vMX100 auto-vpn tunnel

Having bandwidth issues between 2 sites.  

Site 1 - MX100 on a 100x100mb fiber connection

Site 2 - vMX100 in AWS which tested 300x150mb to the internet from a Windows 2016 EC2 instance

Auto-VPN is configured between both sites.  Noticed that a 60mb file copy from an AWS instance to a desktop in site 1 was taking an unusually long time.

Ran iperf3 -c Site2Instance -P 20 from a Windows 10 desktop in Site 1.  Getting 80Mbits\sec to 100Mbits\sec as expected.

Ran it in reverse: iperf3 -c Site2Instance -P 20 -R .  Getting 300Kbits\sec to 500Kbits\sec.

Bandwidth issue appears to be one way only.

I also tested iPerf outside of the IPSEC tunnel using the AWS instance's public IP and I was getting 80Mbit to 100Mbit\sec as expected.

I've played with MTUs between endpoints and also had Meraki support set MTU on the WAN interface of both MX's.

Something in the auto-vpn tunnel is throttling bandwidth and Meraki support can't figure it out.  Anyone run into a similar issue?

3 Replies 3
BrandonS
Kind of a big deal

I saw this post yesterday.  I wonder if it is the same thing? https://www.reddit.com/r/meraki/comments/8owl0l/meraki_mx250_low_outbound_vpn_throughput/

- Ex community all-star (⌐⊙_⊙)

Thanks spankym.  It might be related.  I'd hate to install pre-beta firmware on production environment and make things worse.

Upgrading from 13.33 stable release to 14.28 beta seems to have improved the situation.  I am now getting 25mbit\sec one way and 100mbit\sec the other way.   Seems to start of around 49mbit\sec then something throttles it down to 25mbit.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels