Add MX appliance to existing live network

SOLVED
JFridolf-Iver
Conversationalist

Add MX appliance to existing live network

I have an existing network that is running with MPLS and no MX appliance, however there are MS and MR appliances. 

The network is not configured with any VLANs or equal via the MS appliances. 

My current mission is to remove the MPLS and add local Internet breakout via the MX appliance. 

I will also begin segmenting the network to secure it more/better, which will be done in orderly forms and gradually. 

However, when I add the MX appliance to the network and the Security part becomes active, will this have impact on the current network? 

i.e. will the network re-configure anything current and potentially "go up and down" ? 

As stated the current setup is not configured for any VLANs or equal, everything is running on one VLAN (default) and all ports are configured as trunk that allow all (not by me!)

Thanks in advance. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If you mean adding a mx to the dashboard, then no there is no impact.

If you mean connecting the mx lan to your current lan.

Then yes, the mx will by default give out dhcp addresses on the native vlan from the subnet 192.168.128.0/24. 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If you mean adding a mx to the dashboard, then no there is no impact.

If you mean connecting the mx lan to your current lan.

Then yes, the mx will by default give out dhcp addresses on the native vlan from the subnet 192.168.128.0/24. 

JFridolf-Iver
Conversationalist

I'm at the stage of adding the MX to the dashboard, and that's where I got worried

So perfect, thanks for your answer, exactly what I wanted to know 🙂

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels