how do clients usually configure their meraki networks?

SOLVED
Rafaetero
Getting noticed

how do clients usually configure their meraki networks?

Hello, I am creating a tool using Meraki APIS, but since i am a software developer and I don't have many insights on network and usage of the solutions i would like to know a bit about the "real world" scenarios.

- Do clients have only one Network for each business? or it is really common to operate different networks for a same location? Are networks tied to a location? 

- Do small business have various Networks?

- Do small business have different organizations? 

I am trying to create a dashboard, where you select your network and start doing things with it. But I don't know If the real scenarios involve more than one network. 

If somebody could tell me a bit how it is the real world configuration for a Meraki that would be awesome! 

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
rburch
Here to help

We're a small business with two main office locations, and 5 smaller office locations. It's all under 1 organization, but each location is its own network with site-to-site VPN setup so they all "talk" to eachother. I like having each location as its own network for troubleshooting purposes and not getting equipment at various locations mixed up.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
rburch
Here to help

We're a small business with two main office locations, and 5 smaller office locations. It's all under 1 organization, but each location is its own network with site-to-site VPN setup so they all "talk" to eachother. I like having each location as its own network for troubleshooting purposes and not getting equipment at various locations mixed up.

That sounds really interesting rburch. It helps me understand the product better. If you were going to pay for something that gives superpowers to your meraki, i guess you would like one single account for all the organization, right? 
And I guess that each network has different characteristics, like for example: one may not have MV sense camera, the other yes, .. (I don't know more examples)

That's right- each location might have different equipment (for example our main office has a whole slew of MX/MS/MR, while other locations just have an MX). If I were looking for something to better the dashboard, I would want it for the whole organization.

Is there any needs you have identified that you would like to have addressed? Relating to the dashboard or sofware integrations

Cmiller
Building a reputation

I would recommend checking out the Meraki setup guide for a branch, always helps to see a visual for me.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Deployment_Guides/Branch_Network_Setup

Sadly there are a lot of things needed, An Acual VPN client, IPv6 support, Multicast, SSL inspection; but Meraki overall is a fantastic solution which works for about 85% of clients. They are also great at adding new features all the time and integrate with a lot of Cisco products (Umbrella, ICE/ACS, and I hope the resent DUO purchase will be added soon).
mheider
Conversationalist

I would agree with rburch.  Typically each physical location will be in their own network.  Switches, APs, cameras at a single site will all be in the same network.  The exception to this are the MX firewalls.  If you are running layer 3 switches in an environment, the client tracking section of the Addressing and VLANs of the MX, will need to be set to "ip address - Use if there is a non-Meraki layer 3 device routing downstream end clients.".  Even though it says "non-Meraki" I still set this to track by IP even if it is using a Meraki layer 3 switch per https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Monitoring_and_Reporting/Client_Tracking_Options.

The reasoning for this is at a layer 3 hop, a layer 3 device will change the source mac address to that of itself.  If you're tracking by mac address, then all you'll see is traffic coming/going to your switch.  

Once you change the tracking to be by IP address, it requires you to put the MX in its own network.

This sounds really complex for me, I am going to re-read it so i can understand everything about the layer 3. Thank you mheider
xandurr
Here to help

I run the networks for a company that has 26 sites plus a test lab.

Each one of these is a separate network under the one organisation all connected via Site to Site VPN (with the exception of the test lab)

Nick
Head in the Cloud

I agree - a client will have an organisational entry. Then usually a network for each location. Be that a building or town etc. This network can only contain one MX unit so keep that in mind.
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.