What does everyone do with their old equipment?

DasOost
Conversationalist

What does everyone do with their old equipment?

Hey there I'm new to the community so forgive me if this is posted in the wrong forum.  I recently took over for a once 3 person IT team now I am the only one around.  We have a box with some old Meraki equipment in it that is no longer licensed after an upgrade 2 years ago.  My question is what have others done with their old gear once it has been upgraded?

8 REPLIES 8
DasOost
Conversationalist

The equipment I have on hand is as follows:
8x MX60W (Cloud Managed Security Appliance (Firewall-Router))
6x 600-03000-B (Outdoor Access Point)
3x ANT-13 (11 dBi, 2.4 GHz Sector Antenna )
2x ANT-11 (14 dBi, 5 GHz Sector Antenna)
1x MR62 (Rugged/outdoor WLAN, outdoor campuses, industrial, point to point links)
2x MR66 (Rugged/outdoor WLAN, outdoor campuses, industrial, point to point links)
1x MX400 (Cloud Managed Security Appliance (Firewall-Router))
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You could potentially sell the MX400 as "hardware only".  Make sure it is removed from your inventory, otherwise a new owner wont be able to add it (and they will need to buy a new licence).

We typically take the old kit to either the dump or a scrap metal dealer.

Adam
Kind of a big deal

We keep a few items as spares for DR.  Other than that we recycle per @PhilipDAth's comment. 

Adam R MS | CISSP, CISM, VCP, MCITP, CCNP, ITILv3, CMNO
If this was helpful click the Kudo button below
If my reply solved your issue, please mark it as a solution.
MilesMeraki
Head in the Cloud

As earlier comments, you could look at selling the MX400 second-hand. The rest of the gear can be recycled, have a look at the Cisco product Recycling incentive too -  https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/about/product-innovation-stewardship/product-recycling.html

Eliot F | Simplifying IT with Cloud Solutions
Found this helpful? Give me some Kudos! (click on the little up-arrow below)
dpf
Here to help

sell on Ebay. you don't happen to have a rail mounting hardware kit?

DasOost
Conversationalist

I could not find the hardware for the MX400's rail mount.

thanks for checking

I am curious as well. 

This may be way out of line if so i apologize in advance.

Apparently you can run openwrt on the Meraki AP's such as the MR18.

Now i am wondering after looking at the Meraki Support Site why the following is posted

https://meraki.cisco.com/support/#policies:gpl

Then if you click on the Meraki Linux Files http://dl.meraki.net/linux/index.html towards the bottom you do see the Meraki-operwrt. also there are meraki-firmware-sources as well. 

does this mean you could spin up a VM ? or run it in GNS 3?

or potentially run the firmware on a switch that you have let lapse for maintenance?

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.