cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Small AP for travel?

Highlighted
Head in the Cloud

Small AP for travel?

I am in a period where I’m traveling quite a bit with a small group of people. We find ourselves in circumstances and properties where our hosts have hired somebody to do the WiFi and sometimes it’s decent and sometimes it’s god awful. I am curious to know if there is a lightweight relatively compact product you’d all recommend if i just wanted to plug in my own AP to a LAN port on the hosts router and never have to even screw with their cheap WiFi implantation/chipset. I was thinking a last gen Apple Airport Express might do but then thought to ask you guys what you’d use. Does not have to be a router, just an AP.

Networking geek since high school where I got half of a CCNA. Played Marathon II and Infinity over localtalk.
Made many a network over the years, now de facto admin of a retreat center with some of this fine Meraki hardware.
Fortune 100 Tech veteran/refugee.
10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Here to help

Re: Small AP for travel?

Hi Rumor.

I think you are looking for a MR30h; it seems to be ok for your purpose (https://meraki.cisco.com/product/wi-fi/indoor-access-points/mr30h/)

One time I have used a mx64w with SIM to be indipendent.

Regards,

 

Highlighted
Kind of a big deal

Re: Small AP for travel?

Hey @Uberseehandel do you still travel with that Z3? I know you were doing it more to avoid an issue between a non-Meraki security appliance and the client VPN, but that's got wifi and a few ethernet ports.

 

Won't fix problems with your host's uplink, @RumorConsumer, but it might be another consideration.

Highlighted
Head in the Cloud

Re: Small AP for travel?

Ideally this doesn't go into a Meraki organization. So was thinking "off the stack" might also include other solutions from other vendors...

Networking geek since high school where I got half of a CCNA. Played Marathon II and Infinity over localtalk.
Made many a network over the years, now de facto admin of a retreat center with some of this fine Meraki hardware.
Fortune 100 Tech veteran/refugee.
Highlighted
Kind of a big deal

Re: Small AP for travel?

@Nash 

 

As I am about to go on my travels again, with a new 5G smartphone, I reviewed whether the Z3C would retain a place in my bag - see here - Z3C - Tetherable???? & How is uplinking to an open WLAN coming along? 

 

In that discussion, I post a picture of 

USB 3.1 Type C Gigabit Ethernet Converter with Power DeliveryUSB 3.1 Type C Gigabit Ethernet Converter with Power Delivery

which should let me connect the new phone to the Z3C internet port.

 

Robin St.Clair | Principal, Caithness Analytics | @uberseehandel
Highlighted
Getting noticed

Re: Small AP for travel?

Keep in mind that  you may be seen as a rogue on a network and be subject to containment just like Meraki Air Marshal would.

Highlighted
A model citizen

Re: Small AP for travel?

For just an small non Meraki in room AP I travel with one of these https://amzn.to/3glwRuC

For a Meraki solution I travel with a Z3  https://meraki.cisco.com/product/security-sd-wan/teleworker/z3/

Dakota Snow | Network-dad Linkdedin
CMNO | A+ | ECMS2
Check out IT Career Skills onIt Career SkillsIt Career Skills
Highlighted
Kind of a big deal

Re: Small AP for travel?


@Network-dad wrote:

For just an small non Meraki in room AP I travel with one of these https://amzn.to/3glwRuC

For a Meraki solution I travel with a Z3  https://meraki.cisco.com/product/security-sd-wan/teleworker/z3/


Pretty much my exact recommendation, also my preferred device is Z3C for travel since I use the T-Mobile SIM in it all the time. Screw Marriott Wifi! I usually bring a chromecast device and then I can stream pretty much anything I want and not be on the hotel wifi and I get wired access if needed. Only downside is TSA looks at you kind of funny.

Highlighted
A model citizen

Re: Small AP for travel?


@SoCalRacer wrote:

@Network-dad wrote:

For just an small non Meraki in room AP I travel with one of these https://amzn.to/3glwRuC

For a Meraki solution I travel with a Z3  https://meraki.cisco.com/product/security-sd-wan/teleworker/z3/


Pretty much my exact recommendation, also my preferred device is Z3C for travel since I use the T-Mobile SIM in it all the time. Screw Marriott Wifi! I usually bring a chromecast device and then I can stream pretty much anything I want and not be on the hotel wifi and I get wired access if needed. Only downside is TSA looks at you kind of funny.


(#Small Flex) Flying corporate don't have to deal with TSA... 😁

 

20200210_070514.jpg

20190513_125243.jpg

Dakota Snow | Network-dad Linkdedin
CMNO | A+ | ECMS2
Check out IT Career Skills onIt Career SkillsIt Career Skills
Highlighted
Kind of a big deal

Re: Small AP for travel?


@Network-dad wrote:

@SoCalRacer wrote:

@Network-dad wrote:

For just an small non Meraki in room AP I travel with one of these https://amzn.to/3glwRuC

For a Meraki solution I travel with a Z3  https://meraki.cisco.com/product/security-sd-wan/teleworker/z3/


Pretty much my exact recommendation, also my preferred device is Z3C for travel since I use the T-Mobile SIM in it all the time. Screw Marriott Wifi! I usually bring a chromecast device and then I can stream pretty much anything I want and not be on the hotel wifi and I get wired access if needed. Only downside is TSA looks at you kind of funny.


(#Small Flex) Flying corporate don't have to deal with TSA... 😁

 

 


 Yeah but how much time do you spend on that plane... 🤣

Highlighted
A model citizen

Re: Small AP for travel?

right now not too much but I was practically living on it... I was flying 3 day a week

Dakota Snow | Network-dad Linkdedin
CMNO | A+ | ECMS2
Check out IT Career Skills onIt Career SkillsIt Career Skills
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.