P2P wireless bridge

SOLVED
Vincent61
Comes here often

P2P wireless bridge

Hi…was wondering if anyone has had success using a p2p wireless bridge to connect two meraki switches (trunk)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Russ_B
Getting noticed

I don't have Meraki specific experience, but I'm using two MikroTik 60ghz bridges to connect my workshop to my house (about 100ft distance.)  I have Cisco Catalyst switches on both sides of the link with 802.1q trunk ports connected to the bridges, and I have devices in the workshop working on both the data and voice VLANs.  I would think that setup would work just as well with Meraki switches.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@Vincent61 

I didn't understand your question. Do you  want to connect Meraki Switches via Wireless?

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

Yes I do.  Distance is about 50 feet.  Not worried about the wireless part.  I’m more concerned with trunking across the bridge and having the vlan info span the bridge properly .  I have used ubiquiti nano beam in the past and that didn’t work so well.  It appears that Ubiquisys does not pass the 802.1q frames properly.  The result is I have an inaccurate dashboard in tems of what client is connected to whatbswitch

Look, I'm pretty sure that's not possible.

Is it not possible to connect these switches to your infrastructure via an Ethernet cable?

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

No two separate buildings …no cable

Access points intended to form a wireless link or mesh together must be within direct line of sight of each other.

Wireless bridges running version 27.X or below only support a single VLAN. If support for multiple subnets is a requirement for the deployment, a layer 3-capable device will be required. MR repeaters will only send/receive untagged traffic on its wired interface regardless of the configuration of the SSID in use.

Starting 28.1, Multi-vlan support was added.

By extension, wired clients across the mesh link do not support the use of VLANs applied by Group Policies.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/Wi-Fi_Basics_and_Best_Practices/Extending_the_LAN_with_a_Wireles...

Vincent61
Comes here often

For that reason not an option.  Plus the cost of using meraki APs is cost prohibitive for Sam all businesses

Russ_B
Getting noticed

I don't have Meraki specific experience, but I'm using two MikroTik 60ghz bridges to connect my workshop to my house (about 100ft distance.)  I have Cisco Catalyst switches on both sides of the link with 802.1q trunk ports connected to the bridges, and I have devices in the workshop working on both the data and voice VLANs.  I would think that setup would work just as well with Meraki switches.

Vincent61
Comes here often

Thank you for that info.  Very helpful

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.