Meraki SW license

Moemen10
New here

Meraki SW license

Hello there,

Hope you are well.

I would like to ask two questions about meraki switches.

If I have a broken SW and I want to use the license to another SW on the same model, can I do this?

If I want to transfer to a different model can I do this?

3 Replies 3
KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If it is the precisely same model, then yes. But you likely don't have to buy a new switch. With a limited lifelong warranty, you can open a support case for an exchange.

DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

As correctly highlighted by @KarstenI , if the device has a current and valid license then contact Meraki support to have the device RMAd.

you can’t transfer to another model as the licenses are model specific 

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.
BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Switch licenses are based on the model because of the many different models and features. An active switch license is what gives you your support and warranty therefore it would be unfair for someone with a MS425-32 to pay the same license cost as someone with a MS120-8 and vice versa. 

As mentioned if you have a current license and the switch is faulty RMA it, if it's an old switch that you are wanting to replace with a different model then you will need to purchase a new license as mentioned already.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.