How to spot a community scammer 101

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

How to spot a community scammer 101

If you regularly participate on public forums you will eventually have someone try and scam you.

I recently received this private message from Dominika:
"how are you i want to share important discussion with you write me message or send me your email for more discussion (dominikaenos@hotmail.com) what language you speak? i wait for your message through my emai"

Things to look for:

1. Often scammers have brand new accounts, and often have never posted, or posted a few times.  In this case, the scammers account was less than 1 hour old, and has zero posts.  Tick.
  2. They supply a message which is "bait".  You can tell bait messages because they contain no actual facts (such as what the problem is, what company they represent, etc).  Sometimes they include a sob story.  It may include a link to something external.  Tick.
  3. They use a free email address.  Tick.
  4. They try to get you to start communicating via another a different method.  They do this so that they can not be observed by moderators.  They can't be cut off (once they have you on the hook).  Tick.
  5. They use a profile photo of an attrative person (not actually them of course).  No tick.

If you get a private message which scores 4 out of 5 on this scale - ignore it.  Don't reply.

5 REPLIES 5
BrechtSchamp
Kind of a big deal

I received it too and reported it.

CarolineS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thank you, Philip! We're looking into ways to make it a bit harder to spam people via private messages — keep an eye on this thread for updates.

Caroline S | Community Manager, Cisco Meraki
New to the community? Get started here

He also sent me a message, but I replied and now he wants me to give him only $500 USD and I can help him to finally unlock his family fortune that has been held up with court documents, and he promised me 5 Billion in return.

I mean....how can I pass up on that kind of an offer!!!

222222222.JPG

Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn

You mean I don't have millions of dollars waiting for me an I just need to pay a small fee to release it? 

I was going to use that money to buy some Meraki gear as well! 

You have a small number of kudos waiting, you just need to put in millions of hours to release them.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.