Ethernet on an iPad

BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Ethernet on an iPad

This is a very cool trick that I thought I would share in case anyone wasn't aware of this, I was told about this by an employee at Apple and I use it a lot especially when setting up iOS devices for the first time.

IMG_0883.JPG 

Basically its a genuine lightining to USB adaptor and a genuine USB eithernet adaptor. You have to plug a power supply into the lightining to USB adaptor and then plug the whole lot into the device for it to work.

By using this it means I do not have to type in our extremely long winded wireless password or plug the device into a computer to load a wireless profile, as long as the device is configured in Meraki and the ethernet connection you are using doesn't require any type of login the iPad will simply connect using ethernet and pull its activation record and profiles from Meraki.

This makes the process from bringing new devices online incredilby quick.

6 REPLIES 6
vassallon
Kind of a big deal

If only someone had mentioned it before. 😉

https://community.meraki.com/t5/Endpoint-Management-Systems/Ipad-in-lose-mode-trying-to-clear-lost-m...

The Apple guy who told me about it dubbed it as the FrankenCable.

Found this helpful? Give me some Kudos! (click on the little up-arrow below)
vassallon
Kind of a big deal

@BlakeRichardson One thing to remember about this is it will not work on a booted iPad if the USB Restricted mode restriction is left on. 

https://community.meraki.com/t5/Endpoint-Management-Systems/Ipad-in-lose-mode-trying-to-clear-lost-m...

Found this helpful? Give me some Kudos! (click on the little up-arrow below)

@vassallon correct but for initial setup until its got that profile setting it will work. Usually once the inital profile is loaded and the device has wifi access I disconnect the ethernet and let the device pull its apps and whatever else using wifi.

I only use this for inital setup out of the box. 

I would prefer not going through all that and just setup an SSID for provisioning. Either only you or your team know the password and or all MAC addresses are blocked unless whitelisted. As extra security setup alerting to email you and or the team when devices are whitelisted/joined.

Systems Manager actually has a mode to create an SSID for provisioning when using the sentry function.

https://documentation.meraki.com/SM/Deployment_Guides/Systems_Manager_Sentry_Overview

BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@SoCalRacer  each to their own, I prefer not to have to type passwords in if i dont have to. Plus how do you white list a devices MAC when Apple don't print them on the box?

The less work I have to do to configure a device the better. Why setup and administor a network when all i have to do is plug in a cable.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.