Moving Meraki Set Up

Solved
PJB
Here to help

Moving Meraki Set Up

Hi there,

I am looking to set up MX75, MS210 and a couple of CW9162I AP's. This is a Proof of Concept. I have a question; can i set this all up at home then go to site and essentially plug and play?
Will it have an issue if devices being registered on the dashboard and seeing my home Public IP address and then when moved to the PoC site it will not work because of different Public Ip address?

Any feedback welcome
1 Accepted Solution
a5it
Getting noticed

Yes, you can certainly set up your Cisco Meraki MX75, MS210, and APs at home and then move them to another location. This is one of the benefits of Meraki's cloud-managed nature - devices can be configured remotely before they're physically deployed.

Regarding the public IP address change, it won't be a problem. The Meraki devices are designed to automatically check in with the Meraki Cloud Controller, no matter what their public IP address is. When you move the devices to a new location, they will simply use the new public IP address assigned by the ISP at the new location to connect to the Meraki Cloud Controller.

Here are the steps you would typically follow:

1. Register your devices in the Meraki Dashboard and add them to a network.
  2. Configure the devices as required for your network setup.
  3. Test the devices to ensure they are working as expected.
  4. When you're ready to move the devices to the new location, simply disconnect them, move them, and reconnect them at the new site.
  5. Once the devices have internet connectivity at the new site, they will automatically connect to the Meraki Cloud Controller using the new site's public IP address.

Remember to ensure that the necessary firewall rules and ports are open at the new site to allow the Meraki devices to communicate with the Meraki Cloud Controller. If there are any restrictions on outgoing connections, you may need to adjust those to allow the devices to connect.

Also, keep in mind that if you are using features that depend on the public IP address (like static IP assignments, VPN connections, etc.), you will need to adjust your configuration for the new public IP once the devices are at the new location.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4
rwiesmann
A model citizen

Are you using DHCP on the MX to get the public address?

As long as you use DHCP on the MX, you just connect the Devices on the new site. Via Internet the devices will register into the existing Meraki organization again.

rgds

roger 

a5it
Getting noticed

Yes, you can certainly set up your Cisco Meraki MX75, MS210, and APs at home and then move them to another location. This is one of the benefits of Meraki's cloud-managed nature - devices can be configured remotely before they're physically deployed.

Regarding the public IP address change, it won't be a problem. The Meraki devices are designed to automatically check in with the Meraki Cloud Controller, no matter what their public IP address is. When you move the devices to a new location, they will simply use the new public IP address assigned by the ISP at the new location to connect to the Meraki Cloud Controller.

Here are the steps you would typically follow:

1. Register your devices in the Meraki Dashboard and add them to a network.
  2. Configure the devices as required for your network setup.
  3. Test the devices to ensure they are working as expected.
  4. When you're ready to move the devices to the new location, simply disconnect them, move them, and reconnect them at the new site.
  5. Once the devices have internet connectivity at the new site, they will automatically connect to the Meraki Cloud Controller using the new site's public IP address.

Remember to ensure that the necessary firewall rules and ports are open at the new site to allow the Meraki devices to communicate with the Meraki Cloud Controller. If there are any restrictions on outgoing connections, you may need to adjust those to allow the devices to connect.

Also, keep in mind that if you are using features that depend on the public IP address (like static IP assignments, VPN connections, etc.), you will need to adjust your configuration for the new public IP once the devices are at the new location.

KathleenJ
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

You can absolutely pre-deploy these items at home to configure them and then move them. The only change you may need to make is on the MX for the IP address if you are not using DHCP. Take a look at the information for the local status page if you do have a static IP for the MX.  https://documentation.meraki.com/General_Administration/Tools_and_Troubleshooting/Using_the_Cisco_Me...

If you found this post helpful, please give it kudos. If my answer solved your problem, click "accept as solution" so that others can benefit from it.
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@PJB We do as you are suggesting all the time.  As @rwiesmann and @KathleenJ suggested only the WAN config on the MX might need attention when you move the equipment.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.