Access Meraki switch locally without cloud question

Solved
Keith_Li
Comes here often

Access Meraki switch locally without cloud question

Dear All, 

Would like to know can i access meraki switch locally via ssh, console, or internal web portal without cloud base ? Thanks

Keith 

1 Accepted Solution

You need to purchase a license.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You can access a local web page, but its just for basic setting / first time setup to the cloud.

https://documentation.meraki.com/General_Administration/Tools_and_Troubleshooting/Using_the_Cisco_Me...

Keith_Li
Comes here often

so for example if my meraki switch ip is 192.168.24.2, i could access via web broswer with this IP ? The username will be the serial number and empty in password ? 

Correct. Bear in mind the switch still needs to be able to communicate with the Meraki dashboard for it to work, you cannot you any Meraki equipment without it being licensed and communicating with the dashboard. 

how about if the meraki switch has already licensed in the dashboard, and in any case that inernet broken down, the AP and meraki switch wont be able to work am i correct ? 

The Meraki Cloud is an out of band architecture, meaning that no client data flows through the Cloud. The system is also designed to handle connectivity failures gracefully.

If a Meraki data center experiences an outage, your network will automatically fail over to another Meraki data center. During the fail-over time your network will experience connectivity loss as described above.

Assuming you have setup email alerts, you will receive an email when a Meraki node loses connectivity to the Cloud, allowing you to take corrective action if necessary.

For more information on local device management, see Using the Cisco Meraki Device Local Status Page.

Overview
Safe Configuration
Safe configuration means that “the device has connectivity to cloud and hasn't rebooted for 30 minutes following a configuration change.” That is, the safe configuration is the last configuration the device received from the cloud that was not followed by a reboot within 30 minutes.

https://documentation.meraki.com/General_Administration/Cross-Platform_Content/Behavior_during_Conne...

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

GIdenJoe
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

About the username password thing, it is correct when the switch has been reset or not configured.

So indeed the username is it's serial number exactly as it is written in caps and with dashes and the password is empty.

However if a switch was part of an existing network there could have been a user admin with some configured password.

Switches continue to forward and use their typical L2 and L3 protocols if they lose connectivity to the cloud.

The local configuration is limited to setting a management IP address and VLAN, and changing the native VLAN or ports.

Keith_Li
Comes here often

does it means if internet broken down, the meraki switch are still workable for L2 and L3 ? users are still able to connect the Meraki AP for internal access ? 

MX and MX I've already tested it in practice and I can guarantee that it will continue to work, but the access points (MR) I'm not 100% sure.

Keith_Li
Comes here often

noted and one more question, if i first purchase meraki switch without licensed in the dashboard, can it function as L2 ? or it must work once i licensed ?

You need to purchase a license.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.