iPad ADE - Setup assistant won't download MDM profile

CWDouglass
New here

iPad ADE - Setup assistant won't download MDM profile

I've configured a profile for Apple Automated Device Enrollment, and applied it to an iPad to test. When I factory reset the iPad and connect it to WiFi, it begins the Meraki remote management as expected. It prompts for our Meraki MDM network ID, and then says "Your browser does not support installing an enrollment profile. Please use Safari", and fails enrollment. 

This is during the setup assistant on a freshly reset iPad. Haven't even got into the iPad at this point; there is no Safari. I believe I must be missing something. Anyone seen this, or know how to get around it?

Thanks!

5 Replies 5
thaack
Here to help

Is the iPad up to date? Have you tried restoring the iPad? 

Was the iPad previously owned by another organization?

It's a problem with auto-enrollment during setup assistant. I can enroll the iPad after a manual setup. The issue is with the process, unrelated to this specific iPad.

Right - I understand, but my questions still apply. How was the device added to ABM (configurator?)

Confirm in Apple Business Manager that the iPad is assigned to the correct MDM server for Meraki. In Meraki go to Systems Manager > ADE and confirm the device appears after hitting "full sync" in the upper righthand corner. Select the device and ensure it also has the correct "settings" assigned for setup assistant.

If all above is correct, attempt to restore the iPad using iTunes and recovery mode and attempt to enroll via setup assistant again.

BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Enrolment via ADE shouldn’t use a browser and happen as part of the initial iPads setup. As soon as the device is connected to WiFi it should check Apples servers for MDM enrolment. Have you set up Meraki as an MDM in your ABM or ASM instance? 

This is where the issue is happening; in the initial iPad setup assistant.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels