Using the Command Line Live Tool

MichaelZopes
Here to help

Using the Command Line Live Tool

Trying to figure out how to use this feature on either Mac's or Window machines.  No real instructions or directions on how to use this feature

Michael Zopes
16 Replies 16
RaphaelL
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

What feature ?

MichaelZopes
Here to help

Looking at wanting to remove software.  Per instructions from the vendor, need to go into the terminal and run some sudo commands.  The application has a padlock and cannot be removed in the normal fashion.

Michael Zopes

I'm sorry, but what does this have to do with Meraki? I think you're in the wrong community, buddy.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
MichaelZopes
Here to help

I would just like to see some examples on how the use the interface.

Michael Zopes

What interface? Could you please explain it better?

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Are you talking about Systems Manager?

ConnorL
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Hey @MichaelZopes,

The Command Line live tool is essentially what it says on the tin, it'll execute commands on the device that you enter. 

ConnorL_1-1695986172393.png

As the tool says:

On Windows, commands run as Administrator in C:\WINDOWS\System32\ (in most cases) and every command is prefixed by "cmd.exe /C". In Mac OS X, commands run as root in /

If you're having issues, you can use the Agent logs tool (which shows on the new version of the page) to check if the command you executed is listed there, e.g. here's the log of when I ran the ifconfig command:

2023-09-29 12:15:52.324431 [0x16ff83000]: TunClient::handle_request /run_command/1?
[[ifconfig]]
response: [[HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Content-Type: text/plain
Content-Length: 5074

lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 16384
	options=1203<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,TXSTATUS,SW_TIMESTAMP>

MichaelZopes
Here to help

My apologies to all for not explaining this correctly (kind of new at this stuff)  But what ConnorL posted is what I am talking about.  Can this be used to help remove software from a client's machine?  I have Code42 that has put a padlock on the app, and the only way I have found to remove the app was going into the terminal on each Mac and running some Sudo commands to delete.  Unfortunately, most of my co-workers are remote, so I am trying to do this on the backend so I don't interrupt their days.

Michael Zopes

It's just a terminal interface with the device, so the same commands you would execute on Command Prompt (Windows) or Terminal (macOS).

We (Meraki & Meraki Community) cannot really help further than this, but if the program developer has provided instructions that you need to execute via CMD/Terminal, you should be able to use the Command Line tool to run there.

Commands are run as root (so you shouldn't need sudo) for macOS and as Administrator for Windows.

Hi @MichaelZopes - this is off topic from the question you've asked here so forgive the diversion. I just wanted to say there's no need to apologize for not explaining your question exactly perfectly! We're all learning here, and folks in the Meraki Community have a wide range of experience levels, so it's perfectly okay to not get things exactly right on the first try 😊

A tip to keep in mind that will help others more easily help you (even if you aren't exactly sure how to ask) is to be as detailed as possible in describing your problem or issue. Providing screenshots, links to documentation or other resources you've looked at so far, or describing what steps you've taken so far / what you're trying to do can all be great context clues for others who might assist you. Just something to keep in mind for the future! I do hope you keep posting here, as that's how folks learn and grow together. 

GreenMan
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

I'm afraid I don't know the answer to this Q, but posting it in the Mobile Device Management forum would have helped make it clearer hat you were asking about, Meraki-wise:   https://community.meraki.com/t5/Mobile-Device-Management/bd-p/enterprise-mobility-management  

BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@MichaelZopes What error message are you getting if any or do you simply need help on what commands to use?

What commands to use?  I really need to see how to use to delete apps off remote laptops.

Michael Zopes

These commands should do it on the Mac

sudo launchctl unload /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.crashplan.service.plist

sudo chflags noschg /Applications/CrashPlan.app

sudo chmod -R 755 "/Library/Application Support/CrashPlan/"

Sudo rm -r /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.crashplan.service.plist
sudo rm -r /Applications/CrashPlan/
sudo rm -r /Library/Caches/CrashPlan/
sudo rm -r /Library/Application Support/Crashplan

Be VERY careful with the rm command because if you get it wrong you can delete the wrong thing. 

I'd also consider using the new scripting capability for exactly this task:

https://documentation.meraki.com/SM/Apps_and_Software/Deploying_Powershell_and_Shell_Scripts_in_Syst...

Thanks, I will look into htis.

Michael Zopes
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels