Two issues with the Android Device Owner mode.

Shany
Getting noticed

Two issues with the Android Device Owner mode.

I've been using SM for more than 5 years and recently connected more than 200 android tablets to a new organization in Device Owner mode.
These android tablets are Samsung devices and were very easy to integrate with android zero touch enrollment.

Android tablets have long been known for their lack of features and reliability compared to iOS. However, a recent issue has made the experience very challenging.

Issue 1.
When setting "Passcode", the custom application is deleted and the Play store application is not visible.
Of course, if I remove the Passcode setting, the custom application is reinstalled and the Play store application reappears.

I have opened a case on this issue, and while the TAC seems to be aware of the issue, I have not yet received any response to resolve it.

Issue 2.
This is a recent issue (within 1 month), but when I deploy a custom application, it re-installs infinitely.
Unchecking "Keep app up to date" and "Auto-install / auto-uninstall" temporarily solves this issue, but with these settings, I need to manually deploy/update the application...

I've been changing all the settings in the dashboard to find the source of the problem, but it's not working.
My current suspicion is that there is something wrong with the SM application that was updated in November.

Are other Android SM users not experiencing these issues?

4 Replies 4
PaulF
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Regarding your "custom app constantly reinstalls" issue: It's imperative that, as below, your Identifier matches exactly with the identifier of the application

Screenshot 2023-11-22 at 14.06.55.png

If this is even slightly different, SM cannot determine that the application was installed and will attempt re-installation

What is the suggested route for custom apps is, as a developer, to make the application available in Managed Google Play, as per: https://support.google.com/a/answer/2494992?hl=en#

If this doesn't solve the issue, please report back

Shany
Getting noticed

@PaulF  Thank you for your help. 

This custom app was being deployed/used normally by an existing organization, so the identifier shouldn't be a problem.
I used an app called "Package Name Viewer 2.0" and confirmed that the identifier was also registered correctly.

Also, I've already checked the documentation that recommends deploying the custop app using the Play console, but not a developer and does not use corporate gmail, so I couldn't test it.

dbl4500
Here to help

I have noticed the "re-installs infinitely" issue with APKs that I upload to the Meraki cloud (non play store APKs.) It happens to me on factory-reset or new devices. After enrolling in device owner mode, the APKs I have set to install on the applicable profile will keep getting re-installed every few minutes until I reboot the device. A device reboot normally fixes the issue for me.

Shany
Getting noticed

@dbl4500 Thanks for your help.

Yes I think this is happening with devices I've enrolled recently.

I will check if rebooting the device resolves this issue and report back.

What I further checked is that the app keeps reinstalling if the activity log status is 'pending' after an app push.

Shany_0-1700702137775.png

This is repeated even when the already installed app is up and using.
In my past experience, I think this has happened once or twice after an app push, but the 'pending' period is very long now, and I can see the re-installation stops after a fairly long period of time has passed and it changes to 'success'.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels