SM broken on iPadOS 13.2.3? Everything Pending

SOLVED
PegasusAcademy
Here to help

SM broken on iPadOS 13.2.3? Everything Pending

Hi, I have a problem with the iPads that have updated to iPadOS 13.2.3.  Meraki on them seems to be broken, in the devices activity logs, 

Nov 24 17:07 Apps refresh Pending-
Nov 24 17:07 CertificateList Pending-
Nov 24 17:07 Profiles refresh Pending-
Nov 24 17:07 Client details refresh Pending-

Nov 24 17:07 TokenUpdate Success

Other devices on earlier versions of IOS are working as expected.  The iPad on 13.2.3 checks in ok,  but isn't showing updates in Dashboard e.g. ios version, charge level etc.

I have factory reset the device, and go through the initial steps, the iPad tells me the device is being Remote Managed, and pulls my config down, goes through to the home screen, but fails to pull any Apps or Profile settings.

I have factory reset a device on 12.1.1 and all works as expected.  

The iPad in question was upgraded to 13.2.3 from 13.2.2 on the evening on the 19th Nov, and has been "pending" ever since.

Is there an issue with Meraki SM on iPadOS 13.2.3?

Thanks

Matt

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
PegasusAcademy
Here to help

OK, I've made some progress.

• I removed the device from Meraki by ticking on the device in Device List and then doing Delete/Remove from Network.
  • Then I unassigned the device from the MDM in DEP in my Apple School Manager account.
  • I Waited for the device to disappear from Meraki DEP
  • Then Reassigned the device in ASM to the MDM
  • Finally Factory reset the iPad, brought the iPad back into Meraki DEP and then devices and reassigned TAGS etc.

All seems to now be reconnected as expected.  I've done the same to the other iPads that were stuck Pending, and they are now back in.

I'm not sure what happened there, but removing the device all the way and re-adding seems to have done the trick.

Later on I will try upgrading the iPadOS on another iPad to 13.2.3 and see what happens now I know I can get the devices back into Meraki and talking properly.

Thanks everyone.

Matt

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
PegasusAcademy
Here to help

I have just deployed via DEP another 5x iPad Mini5 that shipped with ios 12.4 successfully so I'm happy that Meraki Dashboard and ASM etc are configured OK.  Organisation/MDM "Test Certificate" tells me "The Certificate is Valid"

It seems the ipad on 13.2.3 still won't play nicely.  Going to m.meraki.com and enrolling the device via Safari forces the activity log on the Dashboard for the device to check in, and the activity log still only shows the  TokenUpdate as successful

Nov 25 15:08 Apps refresh Pending-
Nov 25 15:08 CertificateList Pending-

Nov 25 15:08 Profiles refresh Pending-
Nov 25 15:08 Client details refresh Pending-
Nov 25 15:08 TokenUpdate Success

It's checking in but things like the IP address, IOS version, Charge level etc. don't get updated.

@PegasusAcademy  It might be a silly idea but I haven't seen the latest iOS version yet but is there any chance to the privacy settings that could be causing this?

@PegasusAcademy and @BlakeRichardson 

We have multiple iPads running iOS 13.2.3 which are checking in just fine. I did have one that starting saying Apps being pushed via Meraki to devices needed Apps to be purchased.

I cleared the passcode on this one and it appears to have resolved the issues with it. 

I'm not exactly sure why it would say apps need to be purchased when they are free and being pushed via Meraki, though I suspect it was likely an iPad running an older iOS that jumped to 13.2.3.

Found this helpful? Give me some Kudos! (click on the little up-arrow below)

Thanks both,

@BlakeRichardson, there have been no changes to any of the policies in Meraki. On the iPad, I have Privacy/Location Settings set to ON, and the other settings as per default.

@vassallon, on the dashboard, for the device, I have clicked Clear Passcode in MDM Commands/Mobile SecurityDevice Security/

That is also now "pending"

Nov 26 09:17 Clear device passcode Pending

So I have manually removed the passcode on the device. the device has since checked in, but still no sign of my Meraki config on the iPad.

@PegasusAcademy 

Is the iPad going through a firewall or proxy? Can you try connecting it outside of that network and see if it connects to Meraki?

Found this helpful? Give me some Kudos! (click on the little up-arrow below)

@vassallon Thanks, I have tried the iPad on several distinct networks including my WiFi at home, and it's still not happy.  It only seems to be IOS13.2, my devices on 12.x are all happy, can be factory reset etc and hook back up no problem.

We are having exactly the same issue. The only way I could get an iPad to get past 'Awaiting final configuration...' was to remove all profiles and any settings within DEP (I work in a school and we usually use Shared iPad).

Hearing you're having the same issue gives me hope that it's an iOS/Meraki bug rather than anything we're doing wrong. I hope it gets resolved soon!!

Lynx
Conversationalist

...the same error since 26.11.2019 ~9 o'clock CET.

The mdm works fine on some of my devices (5), on others it does not keep pending commands.

All devices (60) are Apple iPads (v12.4-13.2). I hope Meraki fixes the bug soon....

Why the Meraki-Team not helps? same "pending"-situation since more than a week 😞

PegasusAcademy
Here to help

OK, I've made some progress.

• I removed the device from Meraki by ticking on the device in Device List and then doing Delete/Remove from Network.
  • Then I unassigned the device from the MDM in DEP in my Apple School Manager account.
  • I Waited for the device to disappear from Meraki DEP
  • Then Reassigned the device in ASM to the MDM
  • Finally Factory reset the iPad, brought the iPad back into Meraki DEP and then devices and reassigned TAGS etc.

All seems to now be reconnected as expected.  I've done the same to the other iPads that were stuck Pending, and they are now back in.

I'm not sure what happened there, but removing the device all the way and re-adding seems to have done the trick.

Later on I will try upgrading the iPadOS on another iPad to 13.2.3 and see what happens now I know I can get the devices back into Meraki and talking properly.

Thanks everyone.

Matt

Since December 21 the problem seems to have been solved by Meraki. All pending jobs at all devices are now done with success on all devices. Dear Meraki team: What was the problem? Best regards - Lynx.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels