Pushing MacOS Updates - Why is this not easier?

IT_Magician
Building a reputation

Pushing MacOS Updates - Why is this not easier?

Updating MacOS Devices: Why can't we set a target version, a schedule to apply updates, and then Meraki handles the rest?

I have to go to devices, sort my Mac devices, click through hundreds that I want updated, click "Push available OS Updates". All Meraki does is confirm if they sent the update command to the device, and nothing else. The user can click deny, and that is the end of it. For a company required to maintain minimum OS patch levels for compliance, how are you supposed to do this with Meraki MDM?

7 REPLIES 7
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

At this time I think that Meraki MDM is not the best solution to do what you want.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
IT_Magician
Building a reputation

That is why we are posting here, it might not be, but as a Cisco partner I think its important to have these debates so the community can all benefit from improved products that make our lives easier.

If anyone knows of a better way, we might just be doing this wrong.

PaulF
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Reach out to your Meraki rep, who should be able to get in touch with me. I'd be interested to hear your requirements (and also align those requirements against the capabilities of Apple's MDM framework)

Richard_W
A model citizen

Yep this is an important issue, also why is it macOS update are slow to populate. Currently we have to deploy 12.6.5 and 13.3.1 - and yet not all these populate in OS updates in a timely fashion. It seems a small ask to be able to push a OS update, and to provide a series of options; you can ignore x times before it is installed regardless, scheduling installation times and automatic lock out of network if not compliant seem reasonable options for a modern MDM no?

because apparent the edit button does not appear to work in Safari: Apple has met the task with their MDM framework, see: 

https://support.apple.com/guide/deployment/use-mdm-to-deploy-software-updates-depafd2fad80/1/web/1.0

Why has @PaulF Meraki not yet managed this?

Persant
New here

An old thread, but I'm in this boat right now. Is there any way of possibly automatically notifying users via email to update when they're like 3-4 patches behind?

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels