New SM feature: Powershell and Shell Scripting for Windows and macOS

MattMorg
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

New SM feature: Powershell and Shell Scripting for Windows and macOS

Meraki Systems Manager has just launched its first Dashboard Early Access feature: Deploying Scripts with SM. SM now supports deploying Powershell scripts (.ps1) to Windows and shell scripts (.sh) to macOS. 

More information available in the features-announcements page: 

https://community.meraki.com/t5/Feature-Announcements/New-SM-feature-Powershell-and-Shell-Scripting-... 

And the knowledge base article around this feature is available here: https://documentation.meraki.com/SM/Apps_and_Software/Deploying_Powershell_and_Shell_Scripts_in_Syst... 

If you are interested in trying this new feature during its Early Access phase, please Opt-In on the Org > Early Access page

15 Replies 15
BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Nice, this is one feature that I'm excited to try.  The documentation is very light with examples on the Windows side of things though. 

MattMorg
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Thanks for the excitement & feedback @BlakeRichardson! We'll get some more Windows Powershell examples added into the documentation soon. 

hey Matt, does it seem possible to you that there is a bug affecting European tenants ? I cant upload scripts on my european SM 

amabt
Building a reputation

Definately need more examples!

MattMorg
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Sounds good @amabt! We will get some more Windows Powershell examples in there shortly, and I'll bump this thread when more have been added. 

MattMorg
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Engineering are actively adding improvements and changes to the our Scripting feature while it is in this Early Access phase, and any feedback on usage is welcomed! I'll use this thread to communicate the engineering updates/changes while we're in the Early Access phase, as well as add significant changes to the documentation

GonzagueD
Conversationalist

Hey great addition!

Does anyone know why uploading a PS1 file doesn't work though? There is no feedback from the interface. It works on a dashboard that is hosted in the US but not on a European dashboard. 

thanks! 

//SCR-20230825-ovov.png

//

I've been able to get ps1 files to work with success. You may want to start fresh. Make a new script in SM, copy the contents of your current ps1 into a new file with a new name, try to upload new file. And you've probably already done this but be sure the script runs locally on a machine before running it from SM.

Good luck!

GonzagueD
Conversationalist

Hey ! There is a way to write scripts in SM ? 
I have tried creating files from scratch on my Mac, tried uploading from 3 browsers, from a PC .. to no avail

and this is with scripts that work fine with Intune for example

thanks though 

Apologies, my last comment wasn't clear. I meant copying the contents from your original ps1 file to a new one, THEN adding it as a new script in SM - not modifying the just source in your picture. As far as I know we can't create scripts in SM yet (good feature suggestion though).

That being said, if it works from Intune, there might be something else going on. You could try creating a simple echo script and that will upload. If not, then this is something I would ask Meraki Support about.

Hey @GonzagueD thank you for reporting this! There was an issue with some Meraki Shards getting a 403 on file uploads, and this was just reported as resolved by the development team. Can you upload your file again and let us know if there's still any issue? 

Hey Matt, still not working on two European dashboards 

Okay, thanks for the heads up. I'll send a note back to engineering and circle back here. Please create a support case in the meantime (if you have not already). 

Hey Matt, support has not been very helpful :

Hello, Thank you for contacting Meraki Support! This feature is currently in Early Access Beta testing and may not work as expected for all dashboards. You can read more about the testing program here: https://documentation.meraki.com/SM/Apps_and_Software/Deploying_Powershell_and_Shell_Scripts_in_Syst... You can also leave any feedback regarding improvements to UI features on the feedback form at the bottom of the page on the dashboard. We always appreciate customer feedback especially on Early Access features. Please do not hesitate to reach out to me if you have any further questions or concerns. I am happy to help!

Thanks GonzagueD! Your case has been attached to the bug so it helps get our developers involved. They will be reviewing this one shortly, so expect an update via your support case soon. 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels