Mac & IOS clients show "location tracking is disabled for this device"

SOLVED
hellofromsweden
Conversationalist

Mac & IOS clients show "location tracking is disabled for this device"

All of the devices in my Meraki Systems Manager do not show location and display a map image with the text "location tracking is disabled for this device".

All clients are OSX and IOS. Appropriate location permissions and enrollment have been set. All other data and services working normal.

Any ideas on how to fix this? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Melissa
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

Quick check - is it possible a configuration setting for Privacy is active on these devices? This could affect SM's ability to track location.

Under Settings>Privacy...looks like this:

Screen Shot 2018-02-01 at 1.33.18 PM.png

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
MilesMeraki
Head in the Cloud

Have you ensured that location services have been enabled on the devices/allowed Meraki SM app to have access to the Location services for the IOS devices? - Have a read of this article https://documentation.meraki.com/SM/Monitoring_and_Reporting/Managing_Systems_Manager_Location_Servi...

I've had issues with the OSX clients in the past, this has because a host-based antivirus/firewall was stopping cloud communications with the device,  If you have a host-based firewall/antivirus ensure that you set a policy to allow connectivity to the required IP's (help>Firewall info).

Eliot F | Simplifying IT with Cloud Solutions
Found this helpful? Give me some Kudos! (click on the little up-arrow below)

Thanks for the suggestions. Location services are enabled and SM app is set to "Always". No firewalls on the OSX devices.

😞

Melissa
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

Quick check - is it possible a configuration setting for Privacy is active on these devices? This could affect SM's ability to track location.

Under Settings>Privacy...looks like this:

Screen Shot 2018-02-01 at 1.33.18 PM.png

Hi Melissa - that was it! Thank you so much. Very much appreciated.

Cheers!

Melissa
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

That's great news!! Happy to help 🙂

If it isn't in the Meraki profile settings, another thing to try is a soft reset on iPads that show this error. (Turn off the iPad, then restart it, and as soon as the Apple logo appears, hold the power key and home key both down until the apple disappears and then reappears again.) It seems I have to do this on almost every iPad with iOS 10 or higher (which is most of them now).

Well I have the same question, the privacy policy SHOULD look like this (the 2 items checked) or not ?

In my case, they are checked, but still I see in the user config as location disable.

On device, app was allowed to track location all the time in privacy.

User dashboard always show "approx" location using IP on most of the device... years ago I fixed that problem using Apple ID and register device with find my friend, disable modification of account, and that was the only reliable way to really track device, Apple FMF work every time.

But it's more complicate to setup... and it will be useful to be able to track device from Chrome, not another ios Device.

Thanks

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels