INFO: Removal of progressive web apps in 17.4 in the EU

PaulF
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

INFO: Removal of progressive web apps in 17.4 in the EU

Hi,

as mentioned in https://developer.apple.com/support/dma-and-apps-in-the-eu/#dev-qa Apple are removing support for progressive web apps in iOS 17.4 Web apps, or web clips (unless I've got this VERY wrong) are used a lot in enterprise.

As I'm in the UK, I cannot test this, but I ask that, if you're in the EU, AND you use web clips, may I ask that you test in 17.4 beta to see if there will be an impact to your workflows

4 Replies 4
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

It is hard not to swear when replying to this notice.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The list of repressive countries with a lack of freedom and high surveillance and monitoring of the population - places where I would not want to live - now includes:

• Europe
  • UK
  • China
kless
Here to help

Hi!

As far as I know, this change only impacts the implementation of progressive web apps on iOS (that was introduced through Webkit/Safari) in iOS 11.3 (PWA are Web apps that behave like native, Apple has added features over the years like push notification etc... see a list of features here: https://firt.dev/notes/pwa-ios/). Webclips, which are simply bookmarks, will remain. I am located in EU and tested today pushing a webclip on a iOS 17.4 Beta device: I could confirm it was pushed correctly.

Would you be able to confirm whether the webclip was pushed using the "fullscreen" flag?

Our testing seems to show that the "fullscreen" flag causes the push to behave as a PWA. Without the flag, it behaves as a standard bookmark.

The current assumption is that DMA compliant iOS versions will simply treat them as bookmarks, ignoring the full screen flag, and opening in the browser.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels