Handling lost DEP devices

SOLVED
DialogDirect
Here to help

Handling lost DEP devices

We have a bunch of lost/stolen DEP iPads in our Meraki devices list, uselessly using up our licenses. I'd like to remove these devices so I can reuse the licenses for new tablets. However, from time to time it happens that a device unexpectedly reappears. In this case I'd like to be able to reintegrate it as comortably as possible.

As the lost devices are not reachable by Meraki anymore, it seems the only option I have is to choose "Delete/Remove from Network" in the devices list. Having done this with a still available device for other reasons, I did so far not find any way to reintegrate it into the network, so it seems that this step is final and the tablet in the eyes of Meraki more or less bricked.

My question: What is the best way to handle these cases?

Thanks for your help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@DialogDirect 

The only way to break the cycle is to use recovery mode. Here is the link from Apple.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201263

Found this helpful? Give me some Kudos! (click on the little up-arrow below)

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
vassallon
Kind of a big deal

@DialogDirect 

Yes, once you remove the iPad from the Network it isn't bricked per se but you will need to either re-enroll it back into Meraki or reset the device for Meraki to have control over it again. 

I too use the "Delete/Remove from Network" option to free up licenses as when the device is reset it pops back into Meraki as it is still DEP registered.

My rule of thumb is that if it's not checked into my Stolen Missing Network in 6 months to a year I don't expect it to unless it gets reset so I'd much rather have the license back and have to reset the iPad if it shows back up.

Hello @vassallon,

thanks for your information and sorry for the delayed feedback, but I had to wait for a tablet being sent to me in order to try this out. Unfortunately, I was so far not able to confirm that a device can be re-enrolled after once being removed from the network.

Mentioned tablet has been removed from the network, but physically reappeared shortly after. It was actually also gone from Merakis DEP device list, but I could de- and reassign it to the Meraki server via Apple Business manager, and it back in the DEP device list. The current status is "Assigned", but doesn't change to "Pushed", even after a prolonged waiting time.

The device doesn't seem to react in any way to my management efforts. It claims to be supervised by our organization, has all apps installed it was told to do so by Meraki in the past, including the SM app. Resetting the iPad doesn't seem to any noticeable effect besides forgetting cached wifi passwords. If started, the SM app signals "An error occurred when checking enrollment", "Connected" is green with the last check in date before the device has been removed, while "Enrolled" is red with a "You are not enrolled in an SM network".

How do I proceed from here and get the device back into our network? Thanks in advance!

@DialogDirect  Once a device has been removed from Meraki (Not DEP) it can be re-enrolled by simply erasing the device. I've done this numerous times with older devices. 

If its been removed from DEP you will need to have the device pu but into DEP by the reseller you purchased the device from. 

Hello @BlakeRichardson,

thanks a lot for your input. Call me silly, but how do I erase the device? Indeed, it has never been removed from DEP. As mentioned, it also appears on the Apple DEP list in Meraki as "Assigned" device, but doesn't switch to "Pushed".

The device itself seems to ignore the re-enrollment. Under "Settings" I can choose "General -> Reset -> Reset all settings" (translated from German user interface, so probably not the exact English wording). However, this doesn't seem to do much more that remove cached Wifi passwords and has far less effect than the factory reset as I know it from non-DEP devices.

Also, I do not find a way to perform a device reset via iTunes, as iTunes claims the device would be managed by another computer; and I can't authorize iTunes using our DEP account, as iTunes does not accept Business Manager accounts.

@DialogDirect 

To do a complete reset you want to do the second option down. In German, it is Alle Inhalte & Einstellungen löschen.

This will erase all content and trigger the iPad to process the DEP setup again. 

Unfortunately this option is not available, as there is still a profile active on the tablet that has the "Allow Erase All Content and Settings" option disabled. ☹️ On the other hand, I cannot modify any of the profiles, as I don't get access to the device via Meraki. Is there any way to break this circle of doom?

@DialogDirect 

The only way to break the cycle is to use recovery mode. Here is the link from Apple.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201263

I absolutely forgot the recovery mode even exists. 😶 This did the trick, the device is back home. Thanks a lot!

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels