Custom App Install Failed Log?

SOLVED
_aDiedericks
Getting noticed

Custom App Install Failed Log?

Hi there,

I'd like to know if there's a log with more information relating to why app install tasks behave intermittently?

2022-08-05 14_24_35.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
nbv
Here to help

You can view SM agent log files on Windows client machines at C:\Windows\temp\m_agent_service.log, m_agent_service.log.1, etc. You may also find logs specific to the software you tried to install in the same directory.

There are also potential event errors that might occur. If you open Event Viewer > Applications and Services Logs > Microsoft > Windows > DeviceManagement-Enterprise-Diagnostics-Provider > Admin. Meraki has some documentation for these here near the bottom of the page.

Frankly, when this happened to me neither of those provided enough information to narrow down the cause. Redeploying or reinstalling at the client device did end up fixing it for me and I am still digging into why.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
nbv
Here to help

You can view SM agent log files on Windows client machines at C:\Windows\temp\m_agent_service.log, m_agent_service.log.1, etc. You may also find logs specific to the software you tried to install in the same directory.

There are also potential event errors that might occur. If you open Event Viewer > Applications and Services Logs > Microsoft > Windows > DeviceManagement-Enterprise-Diagnostics-Provider > Admin. Meraki has some documentation for these here near the bottom of the page.

Frankly, when this happened to me neither of those provided enough information to narrow down the cause. Redeploying or reinstalling at the client device did end up fixing it for me and I am still digging into why.

That is unfortunately the only surefire way to resolve it. By manually installing failed apps.

Issue is our use case is that we send MacBook's to employees all round the world so when they open their devices and connect it to the internet which can be any time (when we're not available to assist) we expect the tags that was set on the device to at least achieve what it was meant to.

I've seen so far store apps fail deployment even on stable networks. I've ruled out that it may be related to m_agent installation because I've set up tags in a way that does the full deployment of profile settings and m_agent in a 1-by-1 order which yields much better results on that front alone. We should be able to prioritize and create task execution orders I would think to negate some of this intermittent behaviour.

I was thinking along the lines of creating install scripts and packaging those scripts as custom apps on Meraki. The theory behind it is the entire installation process should be offloaded more-so on the target device vs relying on interaction with m_agent. 

Thanks for your response though, you did answer my question and you also mentioned that it wont be useful. I guess we will have to troubleshoot more.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels