Camera issue 20 in Android application on a Meraki controlled device

JimK
Comes here often

Camera issue 20 in Android application on a Meraki controlled device

Hi, We are having a problem with an app our developer wrote not working when it is under Meraki MDM. It works fine on a device without Meraki but on a Meraki device when we go to take a picture it gives us an error of

"Information: Camera Issue 20 [Close]"

The app has several buttons to turn the camera on, the first 2 bring up the camera preview with a line for scanning barcodes. The 3rd button just brings the camera preview itself up, no barcodes.

The camera is not blocked in Meraki Android Restrictions.

The first 2 buttons that capture a barcode work fine. For that to work it popped up a permission message about allowing it when we used it the first Time, we allowed that permission. It works fine, but lower 3rd button to take a regular picture gives the error and never gives a permission pop up.

The 3rd camera button is using the same camera as the other 2 buttons are using so I would assume the permission for the other buttons would also allow the 3rd one.

In the "Setting | Apps & notifications | {Application} | Permissions" it shows Camera and Storage.

Also confirmed via ADB that the camera has permissions:

adb shell dumpsys package com.co.PackageName

runtime permissions:
android.permission.READ_EXTERNAL_STORAGE: granted=true, flags=[ POLICY_FIXED ]
android.permission.CAMERA: granted=true, flags=[ POLICY_FIXED ]

The app is written in Cordova. I am currently installing it via

adb install appname

but when we first started receiving the error I was installing through "System Manager | Apps | Custom | Upload App"

I did see this post:

https://community.meraki.com/t5/Mobile-Device-Management/Android-the-Work-Profile-for-MDM-and-the-ca...

But

* that post is about Work Profiles, we don't use that, we take the phone over completely via Meraki Managed Android Enterprise.

* The post also mentions a blacklist with nothing in it to get the cam working. I already did that to get the top barcode camera buttons working (but I had to actually BL something (used: com.google.android.talk) to get it working.

How can we get Meraki to allow the camera? Is there a Meraki setting we can change? Is the something code wise we can try? The dev has tried several things already but we keep getting the error. 

Device is a Chainway C66 with Android 9
https://www.chainway.net/Products/Info/58

3 Replies 3
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I don't know the answer.

Is the native camera allowed?  Perhaps it needs to use that component.

JimK
Comes here often

Is the native camera different from the one I already gave permission to? As far as I can tell there is only 1 camera

android.permission.CAMERA: granted=true, flags=[ POLICY_FIXED ]

If not how do I find it and enable it? Settings and adb both have the only camera permissions I can find listed as allowed.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Only one way to find out.  If you start the camera app is it the native camera app or something else (there might be an "about" section to tell you).

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels