Apps not updating - getting desperate!

jomaule
Here to help

Apps not updating - getting desperate!

Hi all, 

We have been having an issue for a few months now whereby apps are not updating. Every app we have installed is set to update automatically, but isn't. We prompt individual updates via Meraki, but the app still doesn't update. In some cases it's causing a real pain, e.g Swift Playgrounds, because we teach our computing curriculum using Swift and the app will not work until it is updated, which is affecting Teaching & Learning. 

My colleague has spoken to someone at Cisco/Meraki who had advised that it's because they aren't running the latest iOS update. Unfortunately most of the time we can't update this remotely either, because a) the user is prompted to do something to initiate the iOS update and refuses/ignores, b) the iPad is switched off, or c) the iPad is not connected to Wifi when the command is pushed. 

Surely there has to be a way around this? Almost 75% of our 700+ iPads are still running old iOS versions, despite emailing the students and members of staff several times asking them to update their school iPad!

Thanks in advance.

9 REPLIES 9
SoCalRacer
Kind of a big deal

You may want to look into a different solution to manage the iOS updates a little easier.

The other thought might be to force devices to be in a place/state where you can update them. Like on wifi that says it needs to get updated.

Some ideas to try:

1) Force students to check in and get iOS updates with your help desk (between classes, first week of classes, etc)

2) Tag the devices that need updates. Then send notifications to the users to call the help desk to push the iOS update

3) If users still can't get updated after a certain period of time, then disable their wifi access. (Send device to splash page to call help desk)

Thanks @SoCalRacer.

We're looking at switching to JAMF Pro next year when our Meraki licence agreement runs out, as I've done quite a lot of research and JAMF Pro users in schools don't seem to have half the issues us Meraki users do. 

1. We can do that, but we advise staff and pupils to update their iOS at home, to avoid bringing our Wifi network to a grinding halt. It also takes their iPad out of use for a bit while it's being updated, which is not ideal if they need to use it in lessons etc. 

2. We could do, but we can also see on the dashboard the ones with old iOS versions, and they definitely won't get in touch re: updating their iPad! They only ever come and see us when there's a problem, and even then are sometimes reluctant as they can blame their lack of homework completion on their iPad problems!

3. That's a great idea! I like that one 😁

Andrewbluepiano
Getting noticed

When you say old iOS versions, how old? Swift playgrounds requires iOS 12+, so if they're on something older than that… 

Are the devices supervised? 

Are you using VPP apps? Or just through the App Store?

There are a lot of oddities that could be causing the issue. 

There shouldn't be anything the user has to do, and when commands are pushed they are queued, so if the device is not connected to the internet (off or offline), the command is applied next time the device connects to a network. 

You could create some quick scripts using the SM API to get a list of users who don't have the correct app versions installed, and send them emails about it automatically. Just a thought, but you should be able to easily update things through dashboard assuming everything is set up appropriately. 

Hi @Andrewbluepiano,

When you say old iOS versions, how old? Swift playgrounds requires iOS 12+, so if they're on something older than that…We have a mix at the moment of iOS 13.2.3, variations of 13., 12.4.1, 12.3.1, variations of 12. and 11.3.1

Are the devices supervised? Yes, they are all supervised

Are you using VPP apps? Or just through the App Store? Yes, we push apps out via ASM/VPP

There are a lot of oddities that could be causing the issue. 

There shouldn't be anything the user has to do, and when commands are pushed they are queued, so if the device is not connected to the internet (off or offline), the command is applied next time the device connects to a network. 

You could create some quick scripts using the SM API to get a list of users who don't have the correct app versions installed, and send them emails about it automatically. Just a thought, but you should be able to easily update things through dashboard assuming everything is set up appropriately. Unfortunately this isn't the case... we can see who doesn't have the most up to date app or iOS but we can't update via the dashboard, that's the problem. We are sending the command but it's not happening their end for some reason. 

jomaule
Here to help

@SoCalRacer & @Andrewbluepiano and anyone else who's interested... 

I have received a response from Meraki this morning, advising me that it's an Apple issue (again) and there's nothing that can be done their end/our end. 

Apparently if a device is protected with a passcode (which obviously they all are, due to GDPR), then Meraki have said that it's not possible to automatically update the iPads! They have suggested removing the passcodes from them using the command on the dashboard, but I'm not willing to do this because it's certain that some will not remember to put another passcode on afterwards, leaving potential access breaching GDPR.

Another reason to switch to another MDM!

SoCalRacer
Kind of a big deal

It was my understanding that if locked it wouldn't push the iOS update, but if unlocked then it would. Also couldn't you enforce the passcode requirement after the iOS update is complete? Does the school own the devices or the students?

@SoCalRacer the school owns the iPads. We can knock off the passcodes easily enough, but as far as I'm aware, we can't force them back on. Also, we have pupils with iPads who are aged 7+ so sometimes things in theory and in reality are very different! 

SoCalRacer
Kind of a big deal

@jomaule 

Just to give you a bit of background, I have been lucky to have worked extensively with iOS and macOS management in both business and education deployments, starting back when management solutions first emerged in 2014 / 15 as just Apple Configurator and Profile Manager, then with MDM's as they started to emerge (Mainly Jamf at the time). I also interned at Meraki support at one point, and naturally loved working on Systems Manager issues, so I have a bit of knowledge specific to SM.

MDM's just build on top of Apple's API's for managing devices, and are at the mercy of Apple, so I wouldn't suggest switching to an entirely different solution just from this issue. If Meraki is saying the issue is on Apple's end, it is highly likely they are accurately telling the truth, and the issue would be the same for any MDM solution. There are a lot of quirks that Apple has in the management system, especially with things like this involving locked devices and pushing commands, that Meraki has to contact Apple about, submit cases, provide evidence, much like you have to do with Meraki.

Still, I would think that if the devices are supervised, and enrolled in DEP, that the updates would push no matter what after you send the command next time the device is unlocked. DEP and supervision are supposed to provide complete remote control over everything requiring no interaction from the user.

With the wide range of iOS versions, if those devices are stuck at iOS 11 as their max version, you should consider phasing those out of active use if you are deploying Apps that required higher versions for their most recent updates (Swift playgrounds). Also, as a side note, iOS updates can sometimes resolve MDM quirks.

Double check that the "Delay OS software updates" option is not set under the restrictions payload on any of your profiles. Don't know if that would actually be effecting all this, but it's there, and sounds like it might, so worth a check. 

But this may be a quirk. Assuming it is, if you send the clear passcode command, and have a profile configured to enforce a passcode on the device, it will clear the passcode, then next time the user uses the device, they will be given a message to enter a new one, and will have to do so within an hour, after which it should force them to. I just tested that with an iPhone on my end to be sure.

As for the deployment to the wide range of ages, and the difficulty of potentially needing to have them set up a new passcode, however you first got the students set up with the passwords will likely be your best bet for doing this. Maybe doing this on a school day, making it an event and calling it "iPad Day" or something to make sure everyone is prepared, and going class by class to get things done?

Again, this really shouldn't all be required. I couldn't tell you why, but I have seen issues like this specifically with pushing app updates from time to time. There is usually some magic fix or settings change that will resolve the issue for the most part. 

Two other thoughts how to fix this that I would recommend testing on a single device that is behaving this way to see if they work for you as that magic fix. 

1. Send the delete app command from Dashboard. Then reinstall the latest version. This might delete the user data associated with the app, so again you would need to test this method to make sure it works for your deployment environment. 

2. Assuming you have the SM app installed this may work for either, or both issues (OS and App updates). First send the OS or App update command. Then go to your device list under Monitor -> Devices, and send a notification to all the devices needing the update, or just all of the devices. The notification will cause the device to wake up to display the notification, which might then cause the command that wasn't going through before to successfully go through. As all the changes should be using Apples APN service to send commands, I don't know why this workaround sometimes solves things, but I have seen it work when OS commands aren't successful, that going through the SM App notifications to wake up the device solve the problem. If that way doesn't work, try doing the same thing, but sending the notification first then the update command. Just for the heck of it. 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels