App opening on some iPads but not others

SOLVED
RD-Steve
Comes here often

App opening on some iPads but not others

Hi, as the title suggests, I'm having an issue with an app not opening on all of our managed devices. We have half a dozen iPad 6's and a few dozen iPad 8's, all set up the same with the same version iOS. They were all recently enrolled into Apple Business Manager and assigned to the Meraki MDM. I have a few apps all set the same way that are auto installed to all the iPads with VPP device assignment. The apps install and assign licenses fine, and all but one will open on all the iPads fine. The one app will open fine on the iPad 6's, while on the 8's, it'll just pull up a splash screen for a bit and then close out. The kicker is that if I delete the app from an 8 and instead install it from the app store while logged into a separate Apple account, the app works fine. Then, if I delete the app again and push it back onto the iPad from the Meraki app list, it's back to only pulling up the splash screen. What gives?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You might need to contact the app developer.

I'm going to guess they have done something that breaks it when it is a managed app.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You might need to contact the app developer.

I'm going to guess they have done something that breaks it when it is a managed app.

I was thinking something along those lines as well, but the app working fine on the iPad 6's is what throws me off.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

It still smells like a bug to me.  Could be something as simple as the screen size.

Well that's annoying. Alright, I guess I'll try my luck at contacting the developers. I was just kind of hoping I was overlooking something simple. Thanks for the input.

@RD-Steve  It doesn't sound like a Meraki problem. If the app is being loaded onto the device then SM has done what its supposed to. 

I would contact the developer, you can normally find the developers name and a quick google search ususally get your contact info, I've had to contact several in the past and most have been very helpful especially if its a paid app. 

Good luck.

Thanks, I've emailed the app company's support. It's just a free app the company put out to help configure a bluetooth scanner they make that's still usable without the app, so it's not a high priority. I'll post updates if anything shakes out. The automated response I got isn't exactly filling me with hope for a speedy resolution, though.

Aaand, I finally heard back. The app is not compatible with ABM, though I'm told they're looking into creating a version that is. 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels