Android Device Owner Mode can't scan Android version 11+ QR Code

BlaizeB13
New here

Android Device Owner Mode can't scan Android version 11+ QR Code

When attempting to setup an Android Samsung Galaxy S23 device using the Device Owner Mode option I can't get the phone to scan the Android version 11+ QR Code.

I have done this method with other Android devices were I first factory reset the phone, second tap the screen 6 times to scan the QR Code, and finally follow the rest of the setup to finalize.

For some reason with this phone I can't scan that particular QR code. It just doesn't do anything but if I attempt to scan the other QR codes for the Android Version 10 or the Work Profile options they can be seen and say that it isn't the right QR codes for that option.

Any idea on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated.

9 Replies 9
BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If its not scanning the correct QR code but is working with the other I suspect it's any issue where you are going to need to contact support.

If you have access to an iPhone open the camera and hold it over the QR code, if it's scannable the iPhone will highlight to QR code with a box and the link to click. 

dhub
Here to help

Same issue for me on a new Samsung Tab A9+ tablet.  Were you able to find a fix?

dhub
Here to help

FYI, using the front facing camera allowed me to scan the QR code...

sbartow
New here

I am having the same issue but with Spectralink Phones 

rattala
Conversationalist

same issue with Samsung Galaxy tab S6 lite, no luck with either front or rear camera, relevant issue, disappointed.

KFoster
Here to help

We had a similar issue with newer Galaxy A9+ tablets. Our initial impression was that the cameras were just lower quality, but we found we had better success if we allow the device to be powered up for a few minutes before we attempt to scan the QR code. If the camera appears jerky or not responsive, then give it a few more minutes and try again.

rattala
Conversationalist

interesting to know. here the point is that the device could be enrolled in Android for Work mode but not in Device owner mode. I can read Android 10 qrcode with my Galaxy tab S6 lite camera but I can't read Android 11+ version of the Qrcode. tried to zoom in and to change lights, tried a 32 inch display as well as the laptop's embedded antiglare display, it seems not related to the quality of the camera but to the type of the Qrcode that seem not supported (just my impression), opened a ticket with Cisco direct support and waiting for a solution.

Your experience seems very similar to ours. We tried printing the Meraki generated QR code thinking the monitor display or refresh rates were messing with the rear camera's ability to read the code, but that seems to have made no difference. 

I will be trying your workaround using the qr.io site the next time we have to rebuild an A9+ tablet and will report back!

rattala
Conversationalist

found a workaround to complete the enrollment process for Andoid 11+ Qrcode type and Android Device Owner Mode (it means that is fully owned by the company and tehre is no personal profile on it, just the enterprise profile totally under control of the company) thanks to Cisco support team, here are the steps:

there is one more workaround you can attempt which has helped some Android customers whose devices are having issues reading more complex QR codes. 

1. Scan the QR code from an Android device that's already setup
2. Copy the code
3. Send code to an email so it can be accessed via computer
4. Go to https://qr.io
5. select "Text"
6. paste in the code from step 2
It may take a minute for the QR code to generate. Then it can be scanned. PNG can be copied from there.

ADDITIONAL STEPS BY ME:

i have printed the qrcode and enlarged its size to fit the vertical width of an A4 paper sheet, then sticked the sheet onto the wall and scanned with my tablet just by keeping my camera perpendicular to the QRcode, then zoomed in \out very slowly to make the qrcode detection possible.

Regards

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels