Simple Switch and APs

Simple Switch and APs

Meraki.jpg

Recently I received a Meraki MS120-8LP after attending a Webinar and was excited to try it out with our network. Our main office already had 7 MR52 APs but the APs were connected to our Cisco 2960-X. I moved them to the new MS120 but ran into an issue of having incorrectly setting the VLan when setting static IPs for the APs. After reviewing the community I came across the information needed to correct this. The 7 APs are now running off the MS120 and I was excited to see how the topology works with the added switch. We are hoping to move our main office a MX100 with next years budget. Should be exciting. 

Comments
DHAnderson
Head in the Cloud

Nice picture!  I use the same color scheme on my network installations.

BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal

Nice one and welcome to the community!

PacerX
Getting noticed

@DHAnderson It definitely makes it easier to find the AP connections. Wish I could take credit for it however the company that installed all of our ethernet pulls at our new building set it up this way. 

DHAnderson
Head in the Cloud

IMG_20200331_205815.jpg

This is my network at home.  MX65, MS220-8P two MR33s and one MR18.

Orange cables are primary links, one from the Arris cable modem, and one from the cellular modem. Yellow cables are switches (APs are counted as a type of switch), and blue are data.

Future upgrades are to swap out the Netgear cellular modem for a MG21, and the MR18 for a Mr36.

PacerX
Getting noticed

@DHAnderson Thats pretty cool! We have several remote branches that are running on MX65 connecting to our Main branch which has an ASA5506. We started bringing in the Meraki devices when we started updating our remote branches to be easier to manage. The Main branch is the last one to need the switch over and I am eagerly awaiting that upgrade. For our main office we are using blue for data to end devices, Yellow for APs and white for cameras. 😄 I may need to look at adding some additional colors down the road as we update some of our severs. 🙂

NolanHerring
Kind of a big deal

The only comment I will make is keep an eye on PoE usage, since the MS120 isn't exactly packing lots of juice 😃

PacerX
Getting noticed

@NolanHerring Thank you for the tip! So far they are working well within range. Another reason I had made this change over was a couple of the APs had switched to the mesh and this gave me the opportunity to correct the APs and get them back to wired connections. 

hervetram
Conversationalist

Nolan is right, the MS120-8LP has only 67W available PoE/PoE+ power, while each MR52 can draw up to 21W, making a total of 147W.

If the load increase on the AP, you may start encountering some issues 🙂

PacerX
Getting noticed

@hervetram Awesome! I appreciate that information. So far they are only using up to 7W or less per AP. So I will keep an eye on them. We don't currently have a heavy load on them with number of devices. I can always change them back to the Cisco 2960-X but thought I would see how this holds up for now. 😄

redsector
Head in the Cloud

Nice mix between Cisco classic and Meraki