QoS Meraki MX --> Meraki MS

SOLVED
latintrpt
Getting noticed

QoS Meraki MX --> Meraki MS

Hi there,

I have a Meraki MX that is my firewall connected to a pair of MS switches doing my layer 3 routing.  I have to configure a VLAN with the following for AV equipment.  This traffic does not leave the VLAN.

DSCP Queue Values:

56(CS7) - Highest(8), PTPv2/timing, microsecond requirements

46(EF) - Medium High (6), Audio, in sequence

26(AF31) - High (4), Camera Video, MP4/h.264

IGMP Requirements:

Version 2

IGMP Querier on subnet

IGMP Snooping Enabled on ports & VLAN

Fast/Immediate-Leave enabled on ports & VLAN for Camera switching

Can anyone tell me how to set this up?

Thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If traffic does not leave the vlan then it does not pass the mx. So you can enable the qos on the switch, trust that vlan dscp values. and map them to a queue https://documentation.meraki.com/MS/Other_Topics/MS_Switch_Quality_of_Service_Defined

For example dscp 56 to cos queue 5

Dscp 46 to cos queue 4

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If traffic does not leave the vlan then it does not pass the mx. So you can enable the qos on the switch, trust that vlan dscp values. and map them to a queue https://documentation.meraki.com/MS/Other_Topics/MS_Switch_Quality_of_Service_Defined

For example dscp 56 to cos queue 5

Dscp 46 to cos queue 4

AlexL
Comes here often

What If I move this Audio/visual VLAN to my MX for routing and trunk the VLAN down to my MS. Can I still apply the QoS settings or does the VLAN need to be routed off the MS? Hope this makes sense

GIdenJoe
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The QoS settings on MS switches don't need routing so the outbound queuing is respected for matching traffic.

However you cannot move your audio LAN up to the MX if you require multicast support since the MX itself does not have IGMP querier nor PIM support.  That task can only be done on your MS switch L3 interface.

So it's best to just match the traffic types on your MS switches or just trust what's coming from that VLAN and make sure your needed DSCP values are present in the DSCP to CoS queue mapping section.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.