Network Tests from MS225-24P

Timo3
Here to help

Network Tests from MS225-24P

Hello together,

I want to check the internet connection on a few MS225-24P.

The ISP told me, that there is no problem from their side and it has to be an internal problem.

Is there a way to do something like a speedtest from the switch itselfe?

If yes, is it possible to do this test every 30 min and save the outcome in a log file?

I just want to do that for 24h.

Thanks,

Timo

5 REPLIES 5
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If you go into the tools page of a switch you'll see a throughput test - but you can't rely on this to max out the circuit.  Also it just does a one of test.  You should use a third party tool to verify throughput.

t.PNG

as @PhilipDAth said, the throughput test is not very sophisticated (only downstream is tested) and it can't be scheduled. just connect a device to the switch an run tests from there.

maybe the ping tool on the switch can be helpful as well:

Selection_999(1288).png

Thanks for your advice.

I suspected that it would not work with the on-board tools...

Too bad.. ok, than I'll have to check that with another device.

Here's my two cents.

Strangely enough, as per Meraki support, the throughput test is not a test to test your internet speed.

That being said, I've noticed the throughput tests on the MR and MX series to provide a more accurate estimation of the internet speed than the switches for some reason. So if you can test using a downstream MR or an upstream MX you'll likely get a better result (even if that AP has to go through the switch).

Josper
Here to help
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.