Design related question

SOLVED
Lamees
Here to help

Design related question

Hey all.. 

We have a simple network consists of 1 firewall and 1 switch and 4 APs. and we would like to upgrade the facility to become highly available.And we would like to apply this on both; the firewall and the switch. 

For the firewall we are going to put another one (and connect them together) and connect the switch with 2 uplinks toward them (for redundancy). 

My question is regarding the switch, does it support "hot standby with automatic switchover"? I mean is there redundant internal switching to provide high availability in the switch?

We are using:

Firewall: MX68

Switch: MS120

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If you are using an MS120 then you are only using layer 2 switching.  You can get a second MS120 and run it as an independent switch.

The MS210 supports stacking.  So you could get a pair of them and stack them together.  I frequently use these in office environments.

The MS250 support stacking and redundant power supplies.  I typically use these as a starting option for data centres.

I guess it just depends on how much you are prepared to advance towards your goal.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
MarcP
Kind of a big deal

https://documentation.meraki.com/MS/Layer_3_Switching/MS_Warm_Spare_(VRRP)_Overview

"Warm spare is currently available on the MS42, MS250, MS300 series, and MS400 series family of switches."

Thank you for your reply. I know VRRP is available on the switches as well, but in this case we need to get another switch. My question was if there's an an internal redundant option inside the switch.

MarcP
Kind of a big deal

Yeah, MS120, which has no vrrp.. thats what I wanted to point 😛

Well as far as I know not. Checked my MS120 and didn´t find any option.

so in our network HA is available only on the firewall. Thank you Marc 🙂
jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

@Lamees wrote:

For the firewall we are going to put another one (and connect them together)

Don't do that. Follow the design guide for Warm Spare. 

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Deployment_Guides/MX_Warm_Spare_-_High_Availability_Pair#Recomme...

Thank you jdsilva I will not connect them together and follow the warm spare link, but is it really necessary to have 4 WAN links for a small topology like ours?
jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

@Lamees wrote:
Thank you jdsilva I will not connect them together and follow the warm spare link, but is it really necessary to have 4 WAN links for a small topology like ours?

Nope. You can use a single connection to each MX as well. That is fine.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If you are using an MS120 then you are only using layer 2 switching.  You can get a second MS120 and run it as an independent switch.

The MS210 supports stacking.  So you could get a pair of them and stack them together.  I frequently use these in office environments.

The MS250 support stacking and redundant power supplies.  I typically use these as a starting option for data centres.

I guess it just depends on how much you are prepared to advance towards your goal.

We've already purchased MS120 and its installed and running. I know it doesn't support stacking. but the idea is for example, IP phone will have only one port, so it will not be connected to the second MS.

Since HA its not available on it, it will be as spare switch and to be replaced when the first one is down. correct?
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.