Any way to get alerts for unknown clients connecting to a network ?

Dave
Getting noticed

Any way to get alerts for unknown clients connecting to a network ?

Is there any way to get alerts when a new or unknown device connects to a network?  I haven't found anything. 

I realize if you had public wi-fi access you wouldn't want something like this.  But in a static high-security environment knowing that new or unknown device connected to the network would be beneficial.   Even if it was just a simple email alert. 

Thanks for the help. 

5 REPLIES 5
Adam
Kind of a big deal

I'm not sure of a solution but are you wanting to try to alert on this for the wired network, wireless or both?

Adam R MS | CISSP, CISM, VCP, MCITP, CCNP, ITILv3, CMNO
If this was helpful click the Kudo button below
If my reply solved your issue, please mark it as a solution.
Dave
Getting noticed

Wired network only.

Adam
Kind of a big deal

Would you want alerts when both new trusted devices and untrusted devices connect?  And I was thinking the same thing as @ww by using 802.1x you could fail any non trusted client to a "guest" vlan/network.

Adam R MS | CISSP, CISM, VCP, MCITP, CCNP, ITILv3, CMNO
If this was helpful click the Kudo button below
If my reply solved your issue, please mark it as a solution.
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I agree, if security is such a concern use 802.1x.

Otherwise, set the default policy to block everything.  Then create a group policy called something like "Authorised", and apply it to every client that is allowed to be on your network.

Anything new that appears will be blocked.

Another option would be to deploy Systems Manager on your machines.  You could then have it auto assign the policy "Authorised". Only machines with the Systems Manager installed would be able to connect.

ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

if you have a secure netwerk you dont even allow unknown cliënts to connect. and if they do your radius would know this.

what is your definition of a unknown client at this moment. and how do you or meraki differentiate them from your normal cliënts?

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.