Delay OS software updates bug?

SOLVED
sbishop
Here to help

Delay OS software updates bug?

I recently set our iPad endpoints to delay OS software for 90 days. When I manually forced a software update on two iPads, it proceeded to download 12.3. Currently 12.4 is what downloads if you do not delay the update.

Both iPads are running iOS 12. Every time I attempted to install 12.3 update, I would receive an "Unable to Verify Update" on either tablet. No matter how or where I logged into wifi, I got the same error.

It wasn't until I unchecked "Delay OS software updates" on one of the iPads that it allowed it to download and install without issue though it was 12.4.

From what I can tell, Apple doesn't provide the ability to select OS versions that are older than what is currently being deployed by the company. So in this case, does Apple not allow verification on any other OS version other than what is currently available? If that is the case, this delay option is pointless if another version is released in that time frame you specify in the restrictions option.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

You had the 90 day option checked which means 12.3 cannot be downloaded as its still within the 90 days. If oyu disabled the delay completly then it will download the latest available version which is 12.4 

What you have seen is normal, if you change you delay window to something smaller you will see that you can download 12.3

Apple recommends against using the 90 day option as they release updates earlier than the 90 day period which means your devices would never update. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@sbishop  12.3 was released in May so its within the 90 day mark unless my maths is bad.

12.3 release date has nothing to do with my question. Essentially my point is you can't install 12.3 if 12.4 is released.

@sbishop  Correct Apple software update always installs the latest update, it doens't install in steps. 

OK? Are you aware that the option to delay doesn't work as intended and you are confirming that?

You had the 90 day option checked which means 12.3 cannot be downloaded as its still within the 90 days. If oyu disabled the delay completly then it will download the latest available version which is 12.4 

What you have seen is normal, if you change you delay window to something smaller you will see that you can download 12.3

Apple recommends against using the 90 day option as they release updates earlier than the 90 day period which means your devices would never update. 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels