ZABBIX suddenly starts to getting HTTP 429 error - what can cause this issue?

Kamome
Building a reputation

ZABBIX suddenly starts to getting HTTP 429 error - what can cause this issue?

I'm using ZABBIX to monitor Meraki hub device's performance score via calling Meraki API.

But today I found that ZABBIX cannot get any perf score sice last week.

When I check items in ZABBIX, all items got HTTP 429 error.

I've running this server for about 2 years on Openstack, and 3 months ago migrated to AWS.

But both are using my company's local Internet - not AWS IGW.

So I run cURL from ZABBIX server's shell, and it still gets HTTP 429.

I'm monitoring 30 devices and each devices polling API every 1 minute.

Therefore, there are only 1800 API calls per hour. That's way below to Meraki AP call limit.

Plus, I cannot understand why suddenly ZABBIX starts to get HTTP 429.

2 Replies 2
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@John-K , there has been a couple of these pop up in the last couple of weeks.  It's a bit of a coincidence that they are happening since the API limit change.  At first, I thought they were normal issues with calling the API too frequently, but now it's getting suspicious.

I think I'll tag you in on others as I run into them in case this is a wider issue related to that change.

John-K
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

I'd check your actual API usage. How many other users (or applications) have API keys? You have to share the budget with those other folks in the same org. Even if your usage hasn't changed, there are likely others using API more, thus competing with your usage.

In the API docs, check Organizations > Monitor > API Requests for the two endpoints that give you this info.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.