Wake on LAN

SOLVED
MMoss
Building a reputation

Wake on LAN

Is it possible to initiate a WOL via the API and Python? I found many ways to do it locally, but we operate remotely and since it operate on Layer 2 I'm looking for a way to kick it off using the switch. It's built into the console, but I need to be able to do it using a script or some other method.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

To the best of my knowledge this can not be done via the API.

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

To the best of my knowledge this can not be done via the API.

SoCalRacer
Kind of a big deal

Not sure exactly how you are using this, but usually your can schedule a WOL from a server or from the endpoint via Powershell or something you are comfortable with.

MMoss
Building a reputation

It's an odd situation, I won't go into details but needless to say we need to keep 2 desktops up. People are turning them off and while I said a GPO removing the power button function and the software power button would likely be the best option he said to see if I could use WOL instead. 

Nash
Kind of a big deal

Oy, that sounds frustrating. Too bad you can't lock them in a cage. Perhaps one that provides an incentive to not touch it. (Such as some nice punky spikes, or it makes a squeaky chalkboard sound no matter what touches it.)

MMoss
Building a reputation

@Nash I've requested we just buy a dedicated box to run these things from. These remote locations are small, but even a used Dell r620 can be found cheap. I'll settle for a run of the mill PC with 10 Pro if I'm being honest. Small server offers a lot more options though. Unfortunately the cost of a Server OS is the real cost issue. Maybe it can run 10 Pro instead but not sure. Either way it's back to the drawing board and setting up a GPO I guess 

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

A Raspberry Pi 4 is considerably cheaper... 

MMoss
Building a reputation

@PhilipDAth You would be correct, but we are not allowed to use Linux. Plus I'd like to throw some other goodies on it since it's in place.

It would be cheaper and better to add Wake On Lan to the Meraki API. Unfortunately, years fly by and nothing has changed 😞

Alisdair85
Getting noticed

100% would love to see API support to initiate a magic WOL packet - I made a feature request for this many years ago! Coming at this from a sustainability angle for Schools, Colleges, etc

Jensvb
Conversationalist

I don't know why Meraki does not implement this.

First of all, Live tools are availible through the api, so this should not be a problem.

Secondly, with the Smart Button they sell this should be a numer one priority. Have the button in a classroom, chage the WiFi, so the students can't cheat and turn on all computers.

I really don't get it, I've sent this through "Make a wish" a few times and I was sure they implement it with the smart button, but they did not.

This would be so much help.

@John-K maybe you have some knowledge, in a certain time is there a chance to launch this functionality?

Jensvb
Conversationalist

I've been waiting for this for a long time now. Our company ist rather small, so I don't have many people to "Make a wish", but if you work in a bigger company, maybe it helps if all your staff made a wish to Meraki about that?

John-K
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Hi @Jensvb @Enduro this is now in Early Access. You can read more about our Early Access program here.

Jensvb
Conversationalist

That sounds very promissing. Thank you. Is there any documentation? I can't find any, not even on the beta documentation.

John-K
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

The early access discussion thread has an example, and the docs will be updated in the next few days.

where is this example

Jensvb
Conversationalist

@John-K  Thank you. This will solve many problems for me :))))

John-K
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Hi @MMoss this is now in Early Access. You can read more about our Early Access program here.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.