"usingStaticIp": false
}
]

Why is the publicIp set to 0.0.0.0?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

My guess is this device is online via a cellular connection.

My guess is the device has WAN2 plugged into something that is giving it a DHCP address but it has no connection to the Internet.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Uberseehandel
Kind of a big deal

A public IP should not be 0.0.0.0 (all IP addresses on the local machine) - but it may be an internal address used for the port connected to the WAN gateway.

To meet certain advanced configuration requirements, I do use 0.0.0.0/0 as it is a non-routable meta-address used to designate an invalid, unknown or non-applicable target.

So who knows what is going on . . .

Robin St.Clair | Principal, Caithness Analytics | @uberseehandel
MerakiDave
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

The Public IP is basically Dashboard's interpretation of how it communicates back to the device, and there are rare cases where it can be stale information.  I just jumped into Postman and tried it on one of my own devices just to make sure it worked as expected and it did. 

Assuming the MX is currently online in Dashboard (if you're getting a 200/OK response from the API call) what are you seeing for a public IP in the UI on the Appliance Summary page under the Uplink tab?  Has the external/public IP recently changed from your ISP, or was this MX just brought up for the first time?  It doesn't look like it now, but maybe before were you using (or changed) uplink preferences which could cause the Public IP to become stale? 

If it doesn't clear in time, reboot the MX and check it again.  If still not, I'd open a support ticket.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

My guess is this device is online via a cellular connection.

My guess is the device has WAN2 plugged into something that is giving it a DHCP address but it has no connection to the Internet.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.