Global Dashboard Search By MAC Address

Solved
sfaeder
Here to help

Global Dashboard Search By MAC Address

Hi all,

I am wondering if this is possible?  I am new to Meraki Dashboard API and am trying to find one client in my organization of 80 networks and over 10,000 devices.  I was told API was the best way to search for clients like these, but I cannot figure out the best way to tack them down.  

1 Accepted Solution
ShawnHu
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Hi @sfaeder 

Yes, there is a new endpoint 'client search by MAC' to solve your problem.

{{baseUrl}}/organizations/:organizationId/clients/search?mac=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx

Check this announcement (page 29 of the attached doc). 

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8
ShawnHu
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Hi @sfaeder 

Yes, there is a new endpoint 'client search by MAC' to solve your problem.

{{baseUrl}}/organizations/:organizationId/clients/search?mac=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx

Check this announcement (page 29 of the attached doc). 

Thank you very much, @ShawnHu !

Unfortunately I cannot seem to get this working still.  I tried adding the new endpoint manually because I could not seem to update my current API in Postman.  Every time I run the Get, it tells me "There was an error in evaluating the test script:  Error: No data, empty input at 1:1 ^".  Am I doing something wrong, or could you please point me in the right direction to figure this error out?  Thanks again!

Maybe something is wrong with your postman request setting. Can you try CURL?
curl --location --request GET 'https://api.meraki.com/api/v1/organizations/<your org id>/clients/search?mac=<your client mac>' \
--header 'X-Cisco-Meraki-API-Key: <Your API key>'

Both postman and CURL worked for me.

Thanks.  I just tried cURL, but it is not giving me a response.  I am getting code 204 - "The server successfully processed the request, but is not returning any content."

Is there a piece I am missing somewhere?

Nevermind, it is now working.  It's just that the MACs I was trying didn't seem to populate with anything.  Thank you sir!

John-K
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

204 No Content means the MAC wasn't found.

LearningIsFun
Getting noticed

Outside of the API, you can use the Search bar to find a client by MAC.

Top of Organization Overview page.

https://documentation.meraki.com/General_Administration/Inventory_and_Devices/Search_Tool

Thanks @LearningIsFun 

Unfortunately the Org level search function for clients has been broken in my web dashboard for months.  I still have Support looking into it and they suggested I try the API to regain that function.  I am trying to follow their advice, but I'm stuck on getting this Get command to actually work.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.